PDA

View Full Version : norton anti virus email error

Phil B
26-06-2002, 10:57 AM
I have norton anti virus 2002 , running on window 98.
E-mail scanning I have a error message and the program does not scan incoming or out going e-mails.
I have disabled the e-mail scanning and enabled it again , and still have the error message.
I have uninstall the norton anti virus program & reinstalled the program & still get the email error message.
I have scanned the computer for viruses and there are no viruses on the computer.
The anti virus program has only been on the computer for three months.
Can anyone give me any other suggestions what else I could try to get the email scaaning running again.

Cheers.

Susan B
26-06-2002, 11:16 AM
Just leave the email scanning disabled.

As long as you don't open attachments before saving them and manually scanning them and making sure that your OE security settings are set to High to prevent scripts from running you should be fine. Also don't open unusual-looking emails from strangers.

Oh, and make sure your IE is up to date with the latest patches for your version.

Karrde
26-06-2002, 11:18 AM
Uninstall Norton, remove all registry entries related to it, remove all files related to it, restart the computer, shut down the computer entirely, leave off for 20 seconds, turn the machine back on, and try again.

I've had that problem myself, and that was all that solved it.

tweak\'e
26-06-2002, 11:33 AM
which email program?

Alan Cottrell
26-06-2002, 11:36 AM
Hello Phil,

Susan is correct,

Just disable e-mail scanning, she forgot the most important part though.

Make sure you have "Auto protect" enabled, it is by default.

Providing you are running with Auto protect enabled, no other function is required on your part, as Norton will pick up any infected code or attachments as soon as you go to open them.

The e-mail scanning does not really give you any better protection, because it uses the same engine and definitions that Auto protect does, in an ideal world the theory is good (deletes the infected files before reaching your machine) with no chance of the user saying yes when they should say no when asked as to what they should do.

However with the poor phone lines we have in many places around NZ the thing just does not work properly and you are better off disabling it.

Alan

Phil B
26-06-2002, 02:45 PM
How do I remove all registry entries related to it.

Phil B
26-06-2002, 02:46 PM
Outlook express 6.

Susan B
26-06-2002, 03:00 PM
> How do I remove all registry entries related to it.

http://service2.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/b69c799adfa31ecc85256aa30052f4d0/9a6bf3772bda973585256963004e6dd4?OpenDocument

Phil B
27-06-2002, 01:29 PM
Thank you ,
I have re installed Norton anti virus & all is working as it should be.