PDA

View Full Version : CDROM Driver

25-07-1999, 11:14 PM
Our family PC is a 233MHz Pentium II running windows 95. My two older boys have installed a large number of games on the PC over the last year or so and as many of these are DOS based they are always fiddling with the set-up to maximise available memory.

Recently we have had problems reading some CD?s, but I think the problem has been present for a long time. Windows run in compatibility mode and reports errors in the Cdrom driver and the hard disk drives. There are no apparent problems with the drives except some CD?s. These list the directory but cannot access the files and don?t show the icons.

The retailer, Quay Computers Lower Hutt, recommended removing reference to the Cdrom driver from Autoexec.bat, but leaving the reference in the config.sys file. This stops the cdrom from working in DOS but also in windows. The cdrom drive is detected during bootup but is not listed in windows and is not detected by 'Add new hardware'. The driver disk that comes with the CDROM only has DOS drivers so it is not possible to manually set up the driver in windows.

Below are copies of the autoexec.bat

@if exist C:\WININST0.400\SuWarn.Bat call C:\WININST0.400\SuWarn.Bat
@if exist C:\WININST0.400\SuWarn.Bat del C:\WININST0.400\SuWarn.Bat
@echo off
PROMPT $e[34;40;1m $e[37;40;1m$p$g$e[37;40;m
set path=C:\BITWARE\;C:\QTW\BIN;C:\;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WIND OWS\COMMAND
set mouse=c:\mouse
LH c:\windows\command\doskey.com

SET CLASSPATH=C:\Program Files\HEAT\navbar;%CLASSPATH%
rem only for dos games MSCDEX /D:MSCD001 /V

& config.sys.

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS /TESTMEM:OFF