PDA

View Full Version : Networking

JLeader
24-06-2002, 11:54 AM
My home network uses one of the four 'private' IP number ranges. (I have chosen 192.168.0.0 - 192.168.0.254, subnet 255.255.255.0.)

All the machines on the network run 'behind' a M1122 router attached to an ADSL line.

In theory all the machines on the network should be secure from hackers etc. on any of the private IP number ranges but can I really be confident of that ?

Cheers, John.

godfather
24-06-2002, 12:33 PM
I am not a guru on the subject, but my understanding is that if you are using NAT in your router (network address translation) you are *reasonably* safe from inward hacking.

You are not safe from malicious code in email or downloads, nor are you safe from trojans using your machine for outward traffic.

You still need virus protection and firewall.

Graham L
24-06-2002, 04:42 PM
The only protection you get is that your machines can't be addressed by the outside world. Their IP numbers are non-routable.

Any virus or any other harmful stuff which can get in "legally", as part of an email or other transaction which you allow (say if you are a "server" in a peer to peer system, or game playing, can still get you.

The only machine safe from network nasties is the one which is not connected to a network.

MS boasted that NT was certified to meet the US Govt C2 security standard. What they didn't boast about was that it met that only if running on a machine with the floppy slot glued up, not connected to a network, and in a securely locked room.