PDA

View Full Version : Windows installer error 1635

Capt Jimbo
23-06-2002, 10:47 PM
I'm at my wits end trying to solve this one.
I initially attempted to instal the Analysis toolpak for Microsoft Excel 2000
I got the follwing error message.
[b]Microsoft Excel can't run this add-in.
Microsoft Excel cannot instl the necessary files due to Windows installer error 1635.

I found that I can't do anything with my Office CD1 except generate error messages.

HELP!!!!

Babe Ruth
23-06-2002, 11:11 PM
Hi Capt Jimbo,

Your problem may be answered in the following url from MS Knowledgebase. Note you may have to read a number of articles to find the correct response to your problem. (actually sounds like you're attempting to apply an addin to a patched version of office.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q229683

Cheers, Babe.

Capt Jimbo
24-06-2002, 05:12 AM
Thanks Babe
I spent most of the afternoon perusing the Microsoft artcle you pointed me too and many other articles but could not find one that suggested a "fix"
Am I not be able to add an add-in to a patched version of Office?

Babe Ruth
24-06-2002, 09:58 AM
Hi Capt Jimbo

Can you post your OS version and any other relevant info. If you know your Windows Installer s/w version that may help. Anything about your system setup that you feel could help?.

Cheers, Babe.

Babe Ruth
24-06-2002, 11:03 AM
Hi Capt Jimbo,

You sure can (should be able to as I have just tested that) add addins.

Have you also tried running the REPAIR option from the Office 2000 CD1 setup? Note it must be the same cd1 version/type of O2K you originally installed Office from.

Also the following from the MS KnowledgeBase may be of help:

NOTE: Microsoft Office 2000 has built-in functionality that allows you to get more information
about difficult-to-troubleshoot alerts or error messages. If you want to enable this functionality
for this and other error messages in Microsoft Office 2000, please download the Microsoft Office
2000 Customizable Alerts file from the Microsoft Office Update Web site at the following address:

http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/2000/alerts.aspx

Cheers, Babe.

Capt Jimbo
24-06-2002, 08:56 PM
Still going around in circles
The Customizable Alerts File basically took me back to where I started.
I can't run the repair otion from the CD. I get the error message before any other options come up.
I'm running Windows ME 4.90.3000.

Babe Ruth
24-06-2002, 11:12 PM
Ok Capt Jimbo, I'm back online for awhile.

Ok you may have something wrong with the Windows Installer itself.
The initial release was version 1.1? however v2.x is available.

You could [re]install Windows Installer version 2.x for WinME

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/release.asp?ReleaseID=32831&area=search&ordinal=1

try the above first and repost back to PressF1

You may have something corrupted and need to use the Windows Installer Cleanup utility (not for the faint-hearted)

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q238413

Cheers, Babe.

Capt Jimbo
25-06-2002, 08:31 PM
I tried Windows installer 2.x for ME
I get the error message
The specified service already exists
The Windows Installer Clean up utility is only for installer versions prior to 2.0
Mine is 2.0.2600.2

Any other tricks up your sleeve Babe? :-)

Babe Ruth
29-06-2002, 01:21 PM
Capt Jimbo,

Sorry I haven't replied been busy for a couple of days... then I installed Jetstream with a new ethernet router connected to the 10/100 switch.

Anyways...

I have done a couple of tests and I can replicate your problem to a certain degree. heres how...

Installed & configured Office 2k SBE, Tried later to install the addon packs for Excel using a different cd version (Off2k Premium) got errs. Reinstall off2k from premium and tried updates/addon from SBE got errs. tried various combinations of Off2k cds SBE, Premium Standard etc. and found that using the 'wrong' office cd gave me similar (not the same) errors you got. Does this make sense to you in your situation?

Don't everyone else reply to my post as this was testing for Capt Jimbos' benefit.

Capt Please post back when you can.

Cheers, Babe.

Capt Jimbo
29-06-2002, 01:43 PM
aaah jetstream
I can hardly wait
I believe that Telecom is on the verge of putting me out of my misery
But that is another story :-)
No I don't think you've identified my problem
I only have a single version of Office and always use the same CD's

Babe Ruth
29-06-2002, 02:29 PM
Capt Jimbo,

Well I'm back to the virtual drawing board, One last thing before I go and do some more research.

Are you able to borrow another MS office cd set for the same version and try that?

Cheers, Babe.

Babe Ruth
01-07-2002, 04:20 PM
Capt Jimbo,

One more question are you running Norton AntiVirus 2000 or 2001 with your system.

{Also I noted from a previous post that you are running WinME the original verion (have the hotfixes been applied?)}

if you can post back I'd be grateful.

Cheers, Babe.

Capt Jimbo
01-07-2002, 07:38 PM
Mcaffee virus scan
Hot fixes?

Capt Jimbo

Capt Jimbo
02-07-2002, 07:07 PM
I've managed to cure it thanks Babe
(More by good luck than good management)
Thanks for all your help

Capt Jimbo

Babe Ruth
03-07-2002, 12:55 AM
Hey Capt Jimbo,

Real glad to hear that. And the $64K answer was...?

Cheers, Babe.

Supremo
09-03-2007, 07:04 AM
What was "the solution" to this problem.
I am experiencing the problem now.

Supremo
09-03-2007, 07:39 AM
I've managed to cure it thanks Babe
(More by good luck than good management)
Thanks for all your help

Capt Jimbo

"Capt Jimbo",
do you recall what was the solution to this problem?

Rob99
09-03-2007, 09:59 AM
Have a look here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/812490 while you wait for Capt Jimbo