PDA

View Full Version : Virus Problem

D Bolton
23-06-2002, 05:31 PM
My daughter brought down her laptop. She hadn't updated the anti virus for some time so I did it for her. After doing a scan it showed that she had a virus in VBS/Netlog. She has installed the free software from Grisoft. It has a vault where viruses can be moved to, however on this occasion it said that it could not be moved. and did not specify the virus. The virus has now spread and the desktop although shows all the icons in a ghostly manner and does not underspell what they are. I can get into the control panel but once again there is no names under the icons and the add and remove panel is empty. I think that the drives will have to be formatted and a complete reinstal made. I would like your comments please . Windows 98 are installed

rossnixon
23-06-2002, 11:10 PM
Sounds like the KLEZ worm, often with a virus as well. Try running the fixKlez.com removal program from http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.klez.removal.tool.html (its about 140kb). Run it in safe mode.
Re-install an antivirus program (your one would have been clobbered).
AVG is free, from www.grisoft.com
If any Windows files can't be repaired, you could expand them from your install folder or CDROM.
e.g. expand oleaut32.dl_ oleaut32.dll

D Bolton
25-06-2002, 06:56 PM
Thanks Ross. I downloaded "housecall' and did a virus check, however this program was still unable to identify the bug. or remove it. the message' VBS Netlog worm uncleanable.'The rest of your suggestion is probably beyond me so I will give it back to her and she will have to get other help. I would probably do more damage.

rossnixon
25-06-2002, 08:43 PM
If you are using Windows 98 SE, I note that there is a much easier way to repair Windows files. Just click Start, Run. Type in SFC, press enter.
The System File Checker will say what files have been changed, and optionally put the originals back on top. I presume Windows ME has this also.

D Bolton
25-06-2002, 09:52 PM
Is this the same for windows 98

rossnixon
25-06-2002, 11:46 PM
SFC is actually on Win 98, 1st version also. I thought it wasn't, but just tried it now. Its telling me that the file rauninst.exe in c:\windows may be corrupt, but I will click ignore, as I don't have any obvious system problems. The other two options are: Restore the file from your installation disk, or Update verification information - if you know the file has been updated.
P.S. A good place to look for advice is the newsgroup(usenet) archives at www.google.com. Click on Groups, change language to English and "bookmark" it for future searches.

D Bolton
26-06-2002, 12:18 AM
Thanks I'll keep working on it. I did find SFC but I tried to work off my 98 cd but it told me it was an older version and wouldnt accept the file