PDA

View Full Version : Word for the Weekend: Rebarbative..............

Billy T
21-06-2002, 05:48 PM
Follows on nicely from pulchritudinous folks, it means............

Unattractive or repellent.

Try it at dinner time: My that's a very rebarbative looking dinner you have prepared tonight dear. (It almost sounds like a compliment if you say it quickly enough!)

Hmmmm, while on that note, the weather has been a bit rebarbative lately too..........

Cheers

Billy 8-{) ;\ ;) :O :^O

nzStan
21-06-2002, 06:13 PM
What's the score for that in Scrabble?

Graham Petrie
21-06-2002, 06:26 PM
I'd like to see someone play that in scrabble. Wih only seven letters, you would need four other letters in the right place, AND have the correct remaining letters.

Although adding it up (from memory, no scrabble board nearby)

r=1
e=1
b=3
a=1
t=1
i=1
v=4
e=1

total= 13 Pitiful really!

G P

Graham Petrie
21-06-2002, 06:27 PM
Wake up dipshit!

r=1
e=1
b=3
a=1
r=1
b=3
a=1
t=1
i=1
v=4
e=1
Total = 18 OK if it is on a triple word score.

G p

NathanTheKind
21-06-2002, 06:39 PM
Now Now.

It was a reasonable mistake

Don't hassel yourself. :(

Let everyone else do that

:D :D :D :D

Just Kidding :)

Susan B
21-06-2002, 07:42 PM
So Billy, would you say my webpage was pulchritudinous or rebarbative then? :D

Billy T
21-06-2002, 11:16 PM
Hi Susan

I took a look at the updated version and I reckon it's great, but I'm not sure whether robo will be happy or distraught at his revised image.

As for pulchritudinity or rebarbativeness, well.......being in its incunabulan stages at the present time, it's probably too early to say.

I'll let you know when I find the right words!

Cheers

Billy 8-{) ;\ B-) (Suits the web image)

Tom B
22-06-2002, 07:32 PM
You have obviously managed to get the spell checker working. I didn't know they had a Dictionary on here too. Well well what next?

exLL
22-06-2002, 08:59 PM
Thanks for the new words to learn Billy T

Pulchritudinous, Rebarbative, wow!

Following on from that I guess that if someone is *pretty ugly* they could be classed as *Pulchribarbative?* :^O

PS.
Billy, were you the person who collects/rebuilds old radios, and if so and you don't mind telling me here, what general area of NZ are you in?

Regards,

exLL :)

robo
22-06-2002, 09:27 PM
What? Revised image. Hang on, I'll be back.
robo.

robo
22-06-2002, 09:28 PM
Hmm, I was happier with the other photo.
I see you found the Buck Man.
robo.

Susan B
22-06-2002, 09:40 PM
> Hmm, I was happier with the other photo.

Oh. Well in that case, take another look.... :D

robo
23-06-2002, 09:00 AM
Crikey. That was quick. Need to use Clearasil, I think.
robo.

Billy T
23-06-2002, 09:33 PM
Hi exLL

No, I'm not the guy who collects/rebuilds old radios but I did contribute to a post in which I mentioned that I restored a very old Sanyo solid-state portable TV circa early to mid 60's. You have to feed it coal to get it going.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

exLL
24-06-2002, 12:21 AM
Thanks for the reply Billy.

I did search for the info. and saw your posting about the Sanyo TV and thought that it may have been you.

Sometime back someone said that they had lots of spare radio valves for sale, and I think that they said they collected old radios. I could not locate the posting in my search.

My first radio was a Pacemaker portable with a flip up dial which acted as an on/off switch. It was an excellent radio in its day, and very modern.

I bought it in Dunedin 14/1/55. It was before transistor radios, or at least I had never heard of them and they were certainly not in the shops.

It used to have a large multi voltage battery, 7 1/2v, 9v, and 90volt would you believe, costly and power hungry, but worked well on mains supply also.

One valve has given up the ghost, (I think).

The reason that I have said all this is that I would like to purchase a new valve and continue using it in my garage, or alternatively, would be happy to donate it (ie free) to a collector (preferably to an avid Press F1 helper like yourself) provided that it was appreciated and used, rather than "flogged off" for whatever value it could attract.

That is why I asked what area you were in. I am in Hamilton, and sometimes visit Auckland.

If this web address works, I found a picture of the set at this Aussie site. Ignore the disparaging remarks, although the battery drain comment is correct.

http://www.southcom.com.au/~pauledgr/Pacemaker.htm

It's the top picture of the two. (btw, that space in *I t's* is not my typo, I couldn't fix it no matter what I tried)

Cheers,

exLL :)

Billy T
24-06-2002, 12:50 AM
Hi exLL

Ah! memories!

I know those sets well. In fact, that was the first model of radio I ever repaired unaided as an apprentice. I have never forgotten it. Distorted sound due to an o/c grid leak resistor on the sound output valve. I found it by accident when my meter resistance substituted for the resistor but I took the credit regardless as it got the boss off my back and earned me some brownie points to boot!.

Personally, I'd be delighted to have it if you genuinely wish to pass it on, and I would certainly have no intention of parting with it. You are not by any chance an old radio type are you? Those 1.5 volt battery valves are scarce but still around if you wanted to repair it yourself and keep it.

I am Auckland based and if you wish to contact me send me an email at BT_Pacemaker@hotmail.com

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

exLL
24-06-2002, 04:15 PM
Hi Billy.

It's yours. (for free).

This posting will let others know that it is no longer available.

I will post again in this thread shortly. (then stop as it is off topic I guess)

exLL

Susan B
24-06-2002, 04:26 PM
> (then stop as it is off topic I guess)

Yes, it is a bit off topic. The thread started off as the Word for the Weekend and now you two are talking about radios! Tut tut! :D

Billy T
24-06-2002, 04:40 PM
Boy that photo takes me back!

It reminded me that a Pacemaker was also the subject (victim) of my first homer as well. The mother of a friend asked me to take a look at her kitchen radio and while fiddling inside I blew up the slide switch that turns it on & off when the front panel is opened:O

It totally destroyed the contacts but thank god I worked for a custom manufacturer of radio equipment and we had the bits available to repair it with new contacts & wipers. I sweated blood over that one cos she kept asking when I was going to bring it back but I could only work on it when the big boss went to golf Wednesday afternoons.

Half an hour after he left each Wednesday, the little boss would say "I'm just going out for a haircut boys" and would not return for several hours ]:) We could never tell if he'd had a haircut or not as he was bald as a badger. We suspected hanky-panky but we never did find out where he really went.

Anyway, while the bosses played, I sweated, finally fixed the darned thing and gave it back.

Ain't history grand!

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Billy T
24-06-2002, 04:49 PM
Oops, sorry Susan.

No no, not the whip again!!:O Aaaargh, now the wrist straps, oh no! I'm allergic to rubber, you mustn't.......:8}

Oh well if you insist Matron, anything is better than that damned thermometer ]:)

Ruefully

Billy 8-{) :) :D

exLL
24-06-2002, 06:11 PM
Sorry about that Susan, (apologies to all forum users too), but because it's Billy, that's OK isn't it? ;\ Wont do it again, but have to finish so here goes.

Hi Billy. Re: (non heart) Pacemaker radio.

Sounds like it is going to a good home and that's all I wanted. :-)

Don't expect too much regarding the condition. The ivory coloured bakelite case has a few cracks, repaired years ago with araldite. Basically it looks quite presentable though.

No, I am not an old radio type, but I am old(ish). I'm a 67 year old retiree.

Please bear with me, you WILL get it, and I will deliver it for free, but I am sort of paranoic about giving out name, address, e-mail address etc.

I have used the net since August last year and to date have never received a spam e-mail, or a virus. (Norton AV came with machine and I have Zone Alarm) My only account is with Clear Net and I guess I will have to get a webmail address, and use that as the "spam attracting" one rather than using my main one.

When I am up and running with the webmail address (when I figure out how to go about it) I will e-mail you at the address you posted. It may take a while, but it will happen! :^O

My personal visits to Auckland are mainly in the Papatoetoe, Pakuranga/Howick areas, but I do sight see other areas.

Cheers.

exLL :-)

Susan B
24-06-2002, 09:43 PM
> Sorry about that Susan, (apologies to all forum users
> too), but because it's Billy, that's OK isn't it?

That's right, because it's Billy that's OK. Billy is sacred. ;-)

LOL I was and am having you on exLL, don't take me seriously! I'm enjoying this thread enormously, what with my warped sense of humour. :D

exLL
24-06-2002, 10:39 PM
Hi Susan.

Re gender queries, earlier postings, how is one to know with a name like Babe Ruth?

Reminds me of a song that Johnnie Cash used to sing, *A Boy Named Sue* You never know eh! :^O ?:| :^O ?:| ;\ ;\ :D

Re your comments to me:

Yes Billy's B-)

I knew you were.

I didn't take it seriously.

Enjoyed it muchly too.

Nothing wrong with warped sense of humour. Only way to go! :D

Seriously, from the outer fringes, I have enjoyed the changeover immensely. It was good to read little snippets of the going ons at the lounge and about the mugshots site, and I did learn lots about this new site as things progressed.

Loved your chocolate fish award. Never seen that done before.

Cheers.

exLL :-)

Susan B
24-06-2002, 10:50 PM
> Re gender queries, earlier postings, how is one to
> know with a name like Babe Ruth?

Beats me! Man I thought that was funny!

> Reminds me of a song that Johnnie Cash used to sing,
> *A Boy Named Sue*

I thought it was A Dog Named Sue, but maybe it was A Dog Named Boo? You probably know better than me though, Johnnie Cash wasn't in my record collection! :D

> Loved your chocolate fish award. Never seen that
> done before.

I'll let you in on a secret: I "borrowed" it from FishB8.... shhhhh! ;-)

godfather
24-06-2002, 11:04 PM
Susan!! You "BORROWED" the chocolate fish to give to me???:O

Ooohhh the humility of it...

Ah well, I photocopy them and fax the copy...
Reminds me of the time I was being hassled by someone for a copy of a diskette, so I sent them one. A photocopy....

exLL
24-06-2002, 11:44 PM
>I thought it was A Dog Named Sue, but maybe it was A Dog Named Boo? You probably know better than me though, Johnnie Cash wasn't in my record collection!<

Are you pulling my leg or have you really not heard it?

Just in case here are the lyrics.

www.toptown.com/hp/66/sue.htm

It was on the radio a lot in those days, didn't buy the record, just a humorous song at the time.

Billy T
25-06-2002, 11:35 AM
Hi exLL

If I recall correctly, the boy was named Sioux, which virtually guaranteed he was going to get into scraps, for one reason or the other.

Re emails, to set up a hotmail account takes about 5 minutes and I set up a new one for any occasion of this nature then abandon it afterwards so spam and anyhing else that goes to it is of no consequence. Hotmail will deactivate it after 30 days (I think) and dump the contents of the inbox if you don't log on to it. You can go back and reactivate it for months after that if you want to so I don't know how long it takes for them to kill it completely, if they ever do.

Here's a couple of helpful hints: The new interface for Hotmail is reasonably intuitive, but when you get to the bit that asks for your name, insert your chosen email name in the first box and leave the second blank, otherwise you will find yourself in an endless loop trying to get your name out of the address box that follows (unless I was doing something wrong). You can enter any details you like for personal information but whatever else you do, when you get to the "extra services" page, don't check anything, just scroll to the bottom and move on.

When I get your email I'll set up mutually suitable meeting arrangement. Condition of the radio is of no consequence to me, I'm into nostalgia and my own condition has more than a few cracks and smears of araldite so who am I to be picky!

Take no notice of Susan, none of us do, she's one of the family. We all like a bit of off-topic every now and then. That's one of the attractions of Press F1, it has real people posting about real issues.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :D

Susan B
25-06-2002, 02:04 PM
> Susan!! You "BORROWED" the chocolate fish to give to
> me???

'Tis OK, he hadn't bitten it first, I made sure of that. And it was very fresh, straight out of the pan.

You said it was nice, didn't you? :D

exLL
25-06-2002, 03:56 PM
Hi Billy.

Gee, thanks Billy, just what I wanted!

I was just about to study Clear's requirements for web mail when I decided to have a "quick look" at Press F1 first, (you know, the old addiction kicking in).

Lucky I did because your instructions about Hotmail were timely and just what I needed. I was wary of Hotmail, but after your instructions, I see that if controlled properly there is nothing to fear.

Will be in touch,

Cheers. exLL

mcboingboing
25-06-2002, 08:26 PM
Excuse me for butting in but I was wondering about becoming a pettyfogger. What do you think? Is this the appropriate place to ask?! Should I start up my own thread?
Do people care about us closet pettyfoggers?

Jen C
25-06-2002, 09:18 PM
I think you have answered your own question. You are a autochthonous part of this thread!

;\

Billy T
25-06-2002, 09:23 PM
Feel free Boing old son, but remember the rules: Posts to Press F1 must be either:

A) On topic

B) Off topic

C) Neither on nor off topic

D) Both

E) None of the above

On that basis you can pettifog to your heart's content.

Life's a beach, but only if you're Mexican.

Billy 8-{) ?:| :D

Billy T
26-06-2002, 02:13 PM
Hmmmmmmm!

Nice one Jen, but an interesting use of autochthonous. We don't really have enough information about mcboing boing to attribute such an epithet to his existence. Being a self confessed pettifogger, he (she?:|) might object.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :D :D

PS. Do you mind if I use autochthonous as my word of the day sometime? I'm always on the lookout for unusual words with common meanings. I'll attribute it to you when I do (if I can remember where I got it from).

Jen C
26-06-2002, 07:19 PM
autochthonous = true inhabitant of an ecosystem

It could be taken as a compliment actually (if she/he didn't object to being associated with the thread contributors) :D

PS* feel free to use the word in any manner as long as you can pronounce it!

:D Jen

mcboingboing
26-06-2002, 07:47 PM
Even though (at this stage, and as far as I know) I am only a self appointed pettyfogger I feel (as only a pettyfogger can) obliged to point out that as of today forthwith I have applied to have the word autochthonous copyrighted to my name (McBoing-Boing) and if granted will charge a $1 royalty (+GST) per usage. Not for the sake of filthy lucre per se but to protect this very special word from over usage. Funds will be used to build a small 20 bedroom beach house (in Mexico) for devotees of autochthonousism.

Billy T
26-06-2002, 09:54 PM
I wonder ?:|

Did the subtlety of life's a beach, but only to an autochthonous Mexican perhaps escape my pettifogging correspondent?

Oops, forgot to pay ($1, ka-ching, there yer go).

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :D :D

exLL
27-06-2002, 05:23 PM
I'm sure that Gerard McClelland, alias mcboingboing, won't mind my butting in here and adding some more pettifogging! ;\

Message for Billy:

Did you get my e-mail sent on 25/6/02 18:35?

I managed to set up the Hotmail address and it tested out OK.

My address is:

btpacemaker@hotmail.com

It wasn't supposed to be almost the same as yours, I found that out too late.

Cheers

exLL

mcboingboing
27-06-2002, 08:40 PM
By all means exLL aka: Atilla the Hun, Ghenghis Khan, Alice the milk lady etc etc butt in away!!

But in future please remember that the soon to be formed Mexican society of beach pettifoggers insist their members be addressed by their more important Mchyphenated names.

Billy T. Thanx for the $ that was wired over to Mexico as the first down payment thru Gringo Realtors M.R.I.M

Billy T
28-06-2002, 01:08 PM
Well I'll be darned!

I tried to get btpacemaker and Hotmail wouldn't let me so I went to the variation. Clearly you have friends in high places!

Yes, I received your email and have sent a reply.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)