PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the new PressF1

Biggles
20-06-2002, 02:38 PM
Welcome to the new PressF1. We hope you find this new forum and improvement on the old one.

Please take a moment to familarise yourselves with the forum's features by reading the Help file (http://pressf1.co.nz/help.jsp).

You must first register (http://pressf1.co.nz/account.jsp) before you can post or reply to a post. This enables you to maintain a unique user identity and use forum features like Watches and email notification.

We'd like to extend our thanks to all the beta testers who have helped us get this new forum licked into shape.

Bruce Buckman
IDG Communications Ltd

Chris Wilson
20-06-2002, 02:42 PM
Thanks Bruce, hey this this just like the lounge!

Billy T
20-06-2002, 02:57 PM
Yeah!

But how come the links at IDG just repeat on themselves and don't lead to Press F1 yet?

I've opened this from my "lounge " Link

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Susan B
20-06-2002, 02:57 PM
> Thanks Bruce, hey this this just like the lounge!

Yeah, thanks Bruce, nice to see you again!

Oh Chris, isn't it terrible that our post numbers have been reset? ;-)

Chris Wilson
20-06-2002, 03:04 PM
terrible for you susan,

i only posted 70 or something, so my post score was nothing to brag about, still theres a whole heap of new stuff due to come in any moment, i'm sure we'll all drive the noobies absolutly nuts!

Hope they don't expect us to be all serious!

Biggles
20-06-2002, 03:11 PM
Yeah - DNS chnage stake a few hours to filter through and since the old pressf1.co.nz was on the main server, until the DNS changes take effect people will find themselves directed there.

It will all come out in the wash within and hour or two ....

Billy T
20-06-2002, 03:27 PM
Dear Mr Chris

I am having problems getting Windows XP to load on my 386. I am very annoyed because it took me absolutely ages to put that stupid CD thing onto five hundred and forty two floppy disks.
I keep getting disk full messages and I can't understand why because when I bought the computer I got an extra big 220MB disk and the salesman said it would last forever.

Now I can't find floppy number 279 so I can't even start to reload XP.

What should I do next? ?:|

Billy T's old Aunty Joan

PS I can't ask my silly nephew 'cause he's been away playing somewhere for nearly two weeks. Useless boy!

Craig
20-06-2002, 03:46 PM
hi

[marquee direction="right"]i have a couple few suggestions for improvements to this messageboard which would make it really cool[marquee]

1. users can upload custom avatars which will appear in their posts
[br]2. users can upload custom sigs which will appear in their posts
[br]3. you can create a buddy list and send private messages to them

thanks,

craig

Chris Wilson
20-06-2002, 03:55 PM
i think craig gets the prise for the second non-beta-tester to find thier way in here, does this mean the DNS servers are starting to point in the right direction?

what ISP you with craig?
i always want to know whose got the best service!

Biggles
20-06-2002, 04:00 PM
Nope what about Tech (http://candy.idg.co.nz/profile.jsp?user=1338) - posted at 3:06pm?

godfather
20-06-2002, 04:00 PM
> Dear Mr Chris
>
> I am having problems getting Windows XP to load on my
> 386. I am very annoyed because it took me absolutely
> ages to put that stupid CD thing onto five hundred
> and forty two floppy disks.
>
Well Aunty Joan look no further.
Have I got a deal for you...
provided you buy in the next 5 minutes you can have a super 486 yes thats right Aunty Joan (may I call you Joan?) a 486.

This superfast machine comes with a massive 100 Mb hard drive, and 8 (count em) Mb of RAM

Two serial ports and less than two parallel ports couple with a huse 256k video memory for supersharp pictures every time.

Futureproofed with ISA expansion slots, this little beauty will last you a (computer) lifetime

Call now to avoid being disappointed, only $4,200 plus GST

And for the first caller, a complimentary copy of the VERY latest DOS 6.22 will be included with original disks.

merlin-nz
20-06-2002, 04:11 PM
Hey Bruce,
didn't know the new lounge was ready this soon, and just got in through Candy.
But hey it worked. ;-)

Cheers merlin-nz

marke
20-06-2002, 04:15 PM
Chris - it's a bit of a lottery. It's all dependent upon caching and how recently someone using that ISP last visited this URL. We set the TTL (time to live) for the DNS details to about 2 hours from memory, so within two hours everyone should make it here. So it might not be how good your ISP is, merely how long since someone using that ISP's DNS server last requested resolution of the PressF1 URL.

Just wanted to set the record straight, since your ISP would be getting a bad rap simply on the basis that you visit PressF1 so frequently (for which we are grateful!!)

Mark Evans
Online Business Manager
IDG Communications

Susan B
20-06-2002, 04:28 PM
Heh heh, atta boys Billy and godfather! ;-)

Chris Wilson
20-06-2002, 04:37 PM
I'm on paradise-cable

i type "pressf1.co.nz" it goes to
http://www.pressf1.co.nz/webhome.nsf
and displays the main IDG page still
and candy.idg.co.nz gives me the error:
Error 404

Not found - file doesn't exist or is read protected [even tried multi]

Lotus-Domino 5.0.8
o well i can follow email links, that's how i got here in the first place!

Biggles
20-06-2002, 04:42 PM
It's because the old F1 was on that server and DNS is still trying to resolve it to that server. When it doesn't find the path to F1 from there it dumps you at the defacto home page - which is /webhome.nsf.

you can however type:

http://candy.idg.co.nz/forum.jsp?forum=1

NOT just

candy.idg.co.nz

and it will come here.

Jester
20-06-2002, 04:43 PM
> > Now I can't find floppy number 279 so I can't even
>> start to reload XP.

I have that disk here at work Billy!!! I'll send it to you for a once off donation of ummm lets say... oh I don't know... $50.00?

PS I got here via this link http://www.pcworld.co.nz/pcworld/pcwpressf1.nsf :D but note the url in my address bar is Candy

J.

Biggles
20-06-2002, 04:51 PM
It's filtering through. I've just got proper URLs now. See.... (http://idg.net.nz/pcwpressf1/images/url.jpg)

Graham L
20-06-2002, 05:07 PM
Skite, Bruce.

Anyway, Billy should have used the 180k floppies, not the 160k ones. At least he didn't use the Sinclair stringies. They were the classic write-only medium.

godfather
20-06-2002, 05:21 PM
Sinclair stringies..what luxury...my ZX80 never had those mod cons, only a whacking great 1k of RAM. Still cant get XP to load on it.....

Billy T
20-06-2002, 08:03 PM
You are a serious worry GOD!

Where is your omniscience and omnipotence?

To load Windows XP onto a Sinclair Z80, balance the CD carefully on top and fix securely in place with sellotape.

For maximum data protection against viruses, malicious code or scratching, leave the CD in the box and tape securely as above.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :D :D :D

Billy T
20-06-2002, 08:06 PM
Don't reply to me Jester, I'm not buying, it's my daft Aunty Joan you want!

Sheesh, some people take liberties!

Billy 8-{) ]:)

Jester
20-06-2002, 09:32 PM
LOL BIlly .... ooooooooops! Hey Billy, now I've got your attention, you must work out... nice abs in your pic ;)

As for the URL... Paradise dial up dns servers must be slow to update. At work using Clear cable the old url worked... even now, at home, I get the main IDG page, have to use the candy url.

I hope Aunty Joan gets it all up and running too by the way, seems a nice lady :D

J

Elwin Way
20-06-2002, 10:11 PM
I got here via Slingshot - followed from a IE bookmark (can't remember what it points to exactly) but hey it worked!

BTW, who made the motycons? :x

Graham Petrie
21-06-2002, 11:14 AM
I likey! BTW how do you change the colour of text as in godfathers post above? I like the way HTML is "allowed" but not if you get what I mean. Excellent solution. Will find my way around, and let you know what I think.

Also the spell check wants me to spell colour "color" Please un-americanise please, please, please!

-=JM=-
21-06-2002, 02:04 PM
the way the text colour changes is with quoting.

>1
>>2
>>>3
>>>>4

Graham Petrie
21-06-2002, 04:29 PM
>Thanks
>>>>JM
>>That's Great!

-=JM=-
21-06-2002, 04:56 PM
> >Thanks
> >>>>JM
> >>That's Great!

i think it is mainly designed for quotes (eg when you click quote original), but you can get the colours just by using the angle brackets there.

But they >> have to be at the beginning of the line

mark c
22-06-2002, 01:28 AM
Bruce, you asked me to elaborate on 'what's the point of duplicating the search access?" and I never replied till now, sorry. Simple quibble on saving code/providing speed, why not just have the search on the one button, assuming people don't use it every page? That's all. I'm a quibblemeister on speed. Bit late now that's cool, great place.

argus
22-06-2002, 07:36 AM
"You must first register before you can post or reply to a post. This enables you to maintain a unique user identity and use forum features like Watches and email notification."

For these purposes, is it necessary to request that I enter occupation, employer, etc, as "required" fields? If so, why? What use does PressF1/PCworld/IDG intend to make of these details?

I am informed by a brief message that these personal details "will not be revealed to other users" (Gee, thanks, guys).

Who WILL they be revealed to?

argus
22-06-2002, 03:18 PM
I found the same kind of message, reasoned either there was a failure or you'd changed the site; went back to www.pcworld.co.nz and found my way from there.

Hardly "rocket science" I would have thought :-)

K O
22-06-2002, 09:03 PM
I like the new wallpaper!
Well done F1 team.

-=JM=-
22-06-2002, 10:37 PM
Good to see you hear again K O we've been wondering where you got to.

sayam_5
29-06-2002, 02:26 PM
oh yeah dubit.co.uk (virtual chat thing) have something like that but they have ads everywhere its cool though check it out if u wanna talk 2 lots of poms but its flash driven so dont try it from on a farm