PDA

View Full Version : Word 2000 Spellcheck

19-06-2002, 07:27 PM
Periodically, opening spellcheck results in fault window reading -
Word cannot open the spelling file c:\Program files\Common Files\mcirosft Shared\Proof\MSssp3en.lex
This file is on my harddrive in the correct place. Sometimes the spellchecker works fine.
My OS in W98
Any suggestions
Thanks
David

19-06-2002, 09:06 PM
I had a similar problem with Word 2000 so what I did was a 'repair' which you can find on the 'Help' menu in Word, then click the double arrow at the bottom of the menu and then click the 'detect and repair' option.

Hope this helps Tk

Rod J
20-06-2002, 03:59 PM
Hi David,

What dictionary language have you got Word set to? It may be the document you are trying to spellcheck was created elsewhere using a different dictionary language (and not available on your system). Click on Tools, Language, Set language. I have mine set to English (Australia) and if I select English (New Zealand) I get that error message you describe if I try to check the spelling because the English (New Zealand) dictionary isn't available :(. If the document you are trying to check has been created elsewhere try selecting all the text and set the language to a dictionary that is available on your PC.

Hope this helps,
Rod J.