PDA

View Full Version : Why bother?

18-06-2002, 11:41 PM
I guess Roger's Windows XP will keep crashing, Ms Lusty's Scanjet will never install and Quantum hard drives just wont work....

bye bye Press F1

19-06-2002, 10:38 AM
Jeez! That's a bit of an over-reaction old timer!

Don't forget, Press F1 is a no charge service voluntarily provided by PC World and not only have they invested enormous time in keeping the old girl up and running, an equivalent if not greater effort has gone into creating the new version which will be release soon.

Bit of a premature ejaculation on your part IMHO.

Stick around & check out the new version when it hits the road. You won't be disappointed.

Beta testing is nearly finished but we are still finding the odd bug and adding refinements (at least the PCW staff are adding them, we're just trying to break it so that the end product is super-reliable)

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

19-06-2002, 10:55 AM
Yeah,
what billy said....

As one of the crew testing and generally giving the tech crew hell in the new f1 forum, i can say catogoricly, and even be telling the truth, that there is a heap of work gone into the new forum that has stretched human resourses to the max.

Now lets take into account that little irish begger MURPHY. Murphys law clearly states that when resourses are stretched to the limit, the unexpected will go wrong. Guess what...
Ok, you guessed it.

Hang in here, you might have to be patiant, but it will be worth it, and the new version even has a spell check to fix my appaling spelling!

In the mean time, we shall persivere, and any help i can give people in the public version shall be given. The new f1 is on a dedecated server, running on linix, not lotus whatever it is. It flys, it does not multiple post, unless someone is being silly, and there is some protection against that too. We shall all be united within it very shortly, and this version of the forum shall be archives, and like many upgrades we shall simply remember and wonder how we coped with it as it was.

Please give to us that which age should provide you 'annoyed old timer' and give it another weeks patiants. It will be worth it.

19-06-2002, 12:17 PM
Hear, hear!

I find the current version annoying and frustrating at times, but I can put up with that because it's a damn good free service. Would 'annoyed old timer' have preferred the new version to have been released by now, untested and with bugs in like the present one has, I wonder? I think not.

Hats off to the back-room boys and the beta testers, I say. I can wait. It'll be well worth it I'm sure.

19-06-2002, 01:55 PM
You were not kidding about the spelling.

Cheers
Ted

Chris Wilson
20-06-2002, 03:51 PM
see, aint this so much better, and worth the wait i thinks!