PDA

View Full Version : IBM and Quantum hdd

18-06-2002, 10:44 PM
I have an IBM 20GB hard drive in my machine which works perfectly. Recently I tried to install an old Quantum hard drive of only 127MB. The IBM was at the end of the cable, the Quantum on the second grey connection. The IBM I set to master with slave present on the jumpers, but the quantum which had no apparent space for jumpers since it had only 3 pins where I thought they should be, I just left as is. I'd read that quantum drives needed no settings in slave position anyway. However, when I booted, the machine booted the quantum and unfortunately Windows 3.1. The larger IBM disk which contains Windows ME was not even recognised by the bios, which just listed the quantum drive set as master. I've been into the bios and tried to change its settings, but it just won't recognise the ibm drive. My second IDE cable is used by a CD-RW and CD-ROM, both of which work fine. The computer is only about 1.5 years old, and as i said, without the quantum drive present, the ibm works fine. I've tried a number of different jumper settings on the ibm, and i've never needed to use drive overlay software. Can anyone help?

19-06-2002, 01:06 PM
I have a Quantum drive which has jumpers which require setting for master/slave options. Post back with your drive model etc and someone may be able to help or tell you the master agent for Quantum from whom you could make enquiries.