PDA

View Full Version : PC response during printing

18-06-2002, 10:07 PM
Should I expect my PC to slow up badly after having sent something to the printer? It can take up to 5 to 6 seconds to respond to a keystroke while the printer is working.
PC is running Windows 98SE,
CPU is 500Mhz with 64 Meg of RAM

19-06-2002, 03:02 PM
With 'only' 64 MB of ram, it could easily slow you down. Once, you sent characters to a printer (so 512 or 640 *k* of memory was enough); now you send a large graphics file to make a 'picture' of a page. That file has to be generated, and there will be a lot of disk activity to make room in memory to do it.

You could try changing the settings in the Properties for your printer, but more memory is probably needed to make a big difference.

19-06-2002, 03:09 PM
Also a rather 'full' temp directory and/or fragmented (or 'smallish') disk drive will also have a detrimental effect.

Delete all the files in the TEMP directory and boot into SAFE MODE to do a full disk defragmentaion.

As an aside I had a client a couple of months back who could not print at all from applications (initialy from OE or Outlook) and the reason? - >32767 files in the TEMP directory... You ask why so many? Hey they kept everything!!!

Cheers, Babe.