PDA

View Full Version : RedHat dosn't detect my modem?

16-06-2002, 03:27 PM
I've just loaded RedHat onto my system, dualboot, I tried to activate my modem but it dosn't respond.!?!? Can anyone ;(

16-06-2002, 03:49 PM
You've most likley got a winmodem, which means its not a real modem and uses your cpu to do the work.

They are called winmodems because until recently there were only windows drivers (real modems don't need drivers) for the horrible things, but generally that has changed now and you should be able to find a driver.

What type do you have?

16-06-2002, 04:06 PM
Look at the Linmodem-HOWTO -- it's a bit out of date, but will explain what the problem is. Then go to www.linmodem.org (is that 'linmodems'?) to see what is available.

Internal modems are cheaper than external. External modems *work*. The number of Winmodems supported is increasing, but there will always be some which can not be supported (because the ignorant manufacturers won't give people the technical information they need).

16-06-2002, 07:03 PM
I'm using a Lucent winmodem, yeah a winmodem :( I've looked around and tried a driver but it still dosn't seem to work, perhaps a new modem is in order?!?! Still searching though.