PDA

View Full Version : Loading Linux

15-06-2002, 08:16 PM
I'd like to load Linux to my F:\ and create a 'dual boot' option.I have had Windows loaded on F:\ and C:\ but my computer operates from C:\windows. Can I follow a normal format F:\ to prepare the drive for Linux and which would be the better version, Redhat, Penquin etc.
Any tips /hints to the loading process would really help too.
I'm running a 700 PIImmx with 320ram, 20gig hard drive partitioned into C, D, E, F.

15-06-2002, 09:39 PM
I would reccomend Mandrake as a first distro.

Get anything you want off F:, then run FDISK from DOS and delete the F: partition (linux doesn't use DOS partitions).

In the mandrake installer you can then tell it to use the unallocated space.

16-06-2002, 01:55 PM
Personally I have both Redhat 7.2 and Suse 8.0 loaded. Of these the Redhat loads very nicely and will set up a dual boot log-in in the MBR. With it being an American distribution there are some security related programs that are not included, but you can register a copy (purchased or not) and download the latest patches and updates. By registering, Redhat can send you e-mail notification about security patches and 7+ has an easy to use download and update feature. Nice for people new to Linux!

16-06-2002, 03:33 PM
Yes, deleting the F: partition is all that's needed. After the Linux installation has partitioned the space, it will format the partitions it has made.

Except ... are all these exiting partitions primary ones? If they are 4 logical partitions inside one extended partition, you could get problems. (Linux makes an extended partition and a number of logicals inside that one).

The other thing: there are now two boot handlers: LILO and grub. I would advise LILO ... it's much more 'mature' so will have fewer problems.