PDA

View Full Version : How to get rid of Linux to install Windows?

15-06-2002, 07:41 PM
I have a hard drive that contains Linux Red Hat 7.2 but I want to format it and install Windows on it instead, can anyone tell me how I get rid of Linux so I can install Windows??

15-06-2002, 10:04 PM
Simply use fdisk or you could look for a program called disk manager by ontrack

16-06-2002, 02:42 PM
Unfortunately, FDISK won't remove the Linux partitions. MS don't know that there are other OSs.

If you know Linux, you could boot it up and use 'lilo -u' to restore any MS MBR. To remove the Linux partitions you could try using the Linux 'fdisk' ... I don';t know, it *might* work on the boot disk. If it does (use 'm' for help, often) it will do a clean job. Otherwise, download ranish ( a free partitioning programme) to do it. Put ranish on a DOS bootable floppy.

16-06-2002, 07:37 PM
Fdisk will remove linux partitions. Simply delete 'Non-Dos' partitions. Its sad to see you wanting to get rid of Linux but maybe you might be interested at a later stage :)

16-06-2002, 07:39 PM
Fdisk will remove linux partitions. Simply delete 'Non-Dos' partitions. Its sad to see you wanting to get rid of Linux but maybe you might be interested at a later stage :)

16-06-2002, 08:09 PM