PDA

View Full Version : Registry problems

15-06-2002, 02:59 PM
My Win98 tends to crash particularly while I am on the Internet using IE6, and when turning off the computer. The problems seem to have started after I installed Norton Systemworks 2002. The Symantec One Button Checkup invariably finds and fixes two Registry problems, yet the problems keep reoccurring. I approached Symantec, but all they could come up with was that I should get a technician to look at the problems. Can you suggest ways to fix the problems, or perhaps a utility to sort out the Registry?

15-06-2002, 03:37 PM
I too had problems with my registry which norton 2002 was unable to fix since then i have uninstalled it and am trying a util called Fix-It very impressed with its size and performance found about 50 incorresct entries dead ends etc contact me if you need any further advice help tennisplayer43@hotmail.com

15-06-2002, 04:47 PM
I think Norton System Works does tend to continually find 2 registry problems, at least it does with mine, related to direct x. Other reg. cleaners dont.
I dont think your crash problems are necessarily connected to this, could be dll conflicts, wrong versions, faulty program code, faulty device drivers, all manner of things.

Try running System File Checker to see if you have any corrupt system files and to update versions as required.

Have you run the utils in System works to check for problems like Windoctor etc?