PDA

View Full Version : Why doesn't Norton Antivirus 2002 work with Win XP Pro?

14-06-2002, 07:46 PM
could somebody please tell me why norton antivirus 2002 can't install on win xp pro. I recently installed Xp pro on the same partition as my old platform ( Win ME) Xp overwrote it and when i check my programs in C:program files, all the programs i had on ME are there but i can't access them, what is going on?

14-06-2002, 08:07 PM
When you install a program, it writes key information into the Windows Registry.

It wrote this into ME Registry when you installed each of the the programs after ME was loaded.

Now you have done the reverse, you have installed a new copy of Windows Xp and Registry and you are expecting these programs to work, when in truth Windows doesnt know you even have them. You will need to reinstall every program, from the original disks. Some simple programs that dont rely on Registry entries may still run, but most wont.

HTH

14-06-2002, 10:30 PM
also I don't believe Norton supports XP.

14-06-2002, 11:37 PM
Part of recent reply I had from Symantec:
Also, to avoid any further trouble, the best thing to do is install
Norton AntiVirus separately to each partition. The main reason for
that is this: when Norton AntiVirus is installed, operating system
specific files are loaded. If you try to access Norton AntiVirus that
was installed under a different operating system, problems will likely
occur. Also, if you want to install Norton AntiVirus on Windows XP,
this means upgrading to Norton AntiVirus 2002.
++++++++++++++++++++
Hope that helps you.
Cheers.

15-06-2002, 02:24 PM
Nortons 2002 works perfectly with XP.
Ron.

15-06-2002, 06:04 PM
I have XP (home) and recently had the HDD replaced plus they copied from my old HDD programs etc. When I installed Norton AV 2002 it didn't install liveupdate & subscription service. Even cleaning out the registry entries didn't help. The ONLY solution was to reload Windows XP and then Norton AV 2002 loaded ok.