PDA

View Full Version : Modem - actual speed

14-06-2002, 05:21 PM
I have a SwannSmart V90 56K external modem.
Connection speed - read with the cursor over the connection icon - reads 115200bps, but I am well aware that this is not the actual data transfer speed on line.
Does any one know what setting change (presumably to the modem commands)I can make in order to indicate the actual speed of the connection?

14-06-2002, 05:41 PM
Hi. Under Advanced Connection Settings in your modem, type in ATW2 in the Extra Settings bar.

Your cursor will now show the actual connect speed when hovered.

Just in case... you'll find it in Control Panel, Modems, highlight the modem, click Properties, Connection, Advanced.

The above command doesn't work for all modems, but most. And this assumes you have Win9.x or ME, I am unsure in NT and XP.

15-06-2002, 06:16 PM
Go to http://www.testmyspeed.com/internationalspeedtests.htm and when the site displays, scroll down to New Zealand and for dial-up-modems pick 'Soho-systems.co.nz' and after logging into that site it will display a graph with your connection speed displayed. NOTE if a dial-up-modem, disconnect all other internal phone lines in your house and the connection speed should be from 49,000kbs to 51,000kbs - no line disturbance.

17-06-2002, 06:54 PM
You dont actually need the AT as Extra settings assumes that

Regards