PDA

View Full Version : Word 2000 Page Numbering

14-06-2002, 03:21 PM
There have been some posts about this before but I don't see the right answer there.

I have set up the page footer to print 'Page ', Page Number, ' of ', Number Of Pages. It looks fine while editing. It looks fine in Print Preview. But when I print, I get ' Page ', Page Number, ' of ', Page Number.

I have checked, rechecked, deleted the footer, recreated the footer, etc, etc.

The only clue I can offer is that I use a 'template' document (just a .doc, but set up the way I want it). I have checked and re-checked that one too.

Any ideas?

14-06-2002, 03:34 PM
I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but have you got 'update fields' checked in the 'options' page from the print dialog? I think if you do have it checked, it may solve your problem - but maybe I am totally misunderstanding! ;-)

Tony Bacon

14-06-2002, 03:40 PM
Tony,

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it but it seems to make no difference.

Cheers,
Dutch

14-06-2002, 05:04 PM
Bet you are using Word 2000..

You need to install Office 2000 SP1 (service pack 1) as its a bug in Word.

Office 2000 SP1 is often available on CDs on magazines, dont know if PCW have had it on theirs recently. I used a magazine one some time ago for the same reason.

14-06-2002, 05:31 PM
Thanks Godfather.

I have doubts about the origins of the Office 2000 software on the computer concerned.

I read somewhere that the service pack will invalidate any unregistered software so I guess we'll have to live with it.

Cheers,
Dutch

14-06-2002, 06:58 PM
Hi, Not sure if you want to show e.g. page 3 of 5

The following instructions from the Word help file worked for me.

Insert running-total page numbers, such as 'Page 3 of 12'
On the View menu, click Header and Footer.

If you want to position the page numbers at the bottom of the page, click Switch Between Header and Footer on the Header and Footer toolbar.

On the Header and Footer toolbar, click Insert AutoText, and then click Page X of Y.

EC

14-06-2002, 08:38 PM
Following on from EC's comments, going to VIEW > HEADER & FOOTER > INSERT AUTO TEXT > Page X of Y works for me OK. If I want Page X of Y Pages, I add the word Pages after the auto entry.

14-06-2002, 08:42 PM
Noting that post are continuing, perhaps it should be made clear that this bug was apparently corrected at some stage, so only earlier copies of word 2000 are seemingly affected, you can try anything for as long as you like but if yours is a bugged version you need SP1.