PDA

View Full Version : PCI Video card

14-06-2002, 01:52 PM
Have an HP Pav, 8624 with ASUS MEW-AM rev 2.01 mobo.
Intel i810 chipset, onboard video. Running Xp, 256mB ram, 2x40 mB HDD

I want to install a PCI video card geforce 2MX.

Good instructions for 98 and ME on HP site, which confirms you can fit a PCI video card.

Have removed display adapter drivers and display adapter in control panel - system-device manager. Followed instructions as per HP, as far as I could using Xp procedures

Bios only has ability to assign 1 or 2 mB video memory as default (uses up to 11 mB dynamically in use) and no option to not use onboard.

Unistalling via control panel-device manager , mark as not used. Shut down fit new card, reboot wont get past POST

Removal of PCI video and it works OK in default. Enable adapter, auto detects 810 and installs drivers (aint Xp wonderful). I noticed a swag of drivers in PCI area relating to TV out (which it has on board) and wondering now if I needed to remove these as well?...

Another day I guess as I need to earn some money now and stop playing with toys..but if anyone has done this with Xp I am interested

14-06-2002, 02:43 PM
Just a thought.

Check in the mobo manual - you may have to reconfigure jumpers on the mobo to make it work.

14-06-2002, 02:52 PM
And if you can't find your manual check out the following:

http://www.motherboards.org/manuals.html

Cheers, Babe.

14-06-2002, 04:53 PM
Hmmm... Its not OS dependent, as it doesnt get through POST.

The BIOS has a reference in the help column, but no option to disable. I was half expecting that the option would appear if a second card was detected, as it could be a safeguard to prevent having no video card, but as I cant see at POST time I will never know...

14-06-2002, 08:25 PM
Unfortunately, this seems to be another example of why brand name computers should be avoided if there is any likelyhood of wanting to upgrade.

It's probably all part of the cunning marketing ploy of getting people to buy a new computer, like MS aiming to stop downloading of dos 6.22 and windows 3.11, thus tending to render old computers useless.

14-06-2002, 08:49 PM
Yes, all part of the greater cunning plan...except this time HP give excellent instructions on how to do it.

Pity it doesnt work...

Its all a method of extracting best performance with Xp, as 11 MB would be freed, this PC will only go to 256MB (HP BIOS) original mobo bios goes to 512 according to website, HP dont say that their bios is different but learnt as much on a Google search.

All aside I have had a very good run with HP, and wouldnt have any other printer brand.

Been associated with lots of printers in career and the only ones that seem to keep going are HP...

PCs are consumables I guess...