PDA

View Full Version : Monitoring Kids on MSN/Internet

12-06-2002, 09:45 PM
Recently (& in hindsight, possibly erroneously) I moved my kids' computers into their bedrooms. How can I periodically check if their conversation content etc is appropriate from my Server (all Win98)

13-06-2002, 12:45 AM
Hi there,

When you say 'from my server' do you mean you are all connected via a network and you would like to check from your PC??

Anyway, I can't be sure for MSN but many chat programmes keep a log of conversations....if you have an explore through MSN you may find how to view it if it keeps one....a chat programme which definitely keeps them is called 'trillian' [http://www.trillian.cc] it works with MSN, AOL, Yahoo and IRC........another option is to install a 'keylogger' but then there are ethical trust issues down that road.

I would suggest sitting with your kids and having a good chat about trust and the dangers of the internet.....or only making internet available in 'safe areas' like a family room.

If you would like more info then get back to me or type 'protecting children from the internet' into google [http://www.google.co.nz] and there is screeds of info available..............

13-06-2002, 08:44 AM
My brother has a little MSN bot (that I have no idea where to get it from) that records EVERY msn chat session. E.G if your kids were to talk to me, a little file called porsche@vectorstar.net.txt would be created and it would record the date, time etc of the convo and record all the convo. And if you close the chat, next time yu log on and open up a chat to the same person it just appends to the log. You can then access these files across the network! cool huh?

13-06-2002, 11:34 AM
There are apps out there (network monitoring/security) that sit on a pc silently recording anything from keys typed, to actually taking screenshots at regular intervals say for instance, when a browser is opened. It logs all this, and you can set it to send the logs by email etc, or you can just access the pc physically to check the logs. Try some freeware sites like www.webattack.com, www.downloads.com etc.

This way, you can warn your kids that you do not expect them to break your rules, and if they do, you will know, and be able to punish them. If they don't know how you found out, or if you just show them a couple of screenshots you have captured, they will be too scared to try again.

It does depend on their age though. This may work with younger children. be more careful with teenagers. They may find your 'spying' a breach of privacy and trust, and also may be smart enough to find and remove the software. In this case, you shouldn't need to spy on them, you should be able to talk to them about what is and isn't acceptable. If that doesn't work, then I suggest the teenager is not old/mature enough to have the priviledge of having the PC in his/her bedroom, and it should be removed.

G P

13-06-2002, 11:44 AM
Further to my previous post, I did a quick search for you on webattack.com. Look here:

<http://www.webattack.com/Freeware/security/fwaccessmonitoring.shtml>

G P