PDA

View Full Version : XP lockups

12-06-2002, 08:36 PM
Hi ya all,
I am having trouble with my stupid computer freezing I think I may have located the problem but I dont think I can fix it myself. Before I take it into the shop and get charged 40 bucks an hour I would like to make sure that this is definatley a possible cause.
Using the event viewer in win XP there are these BIOS errors that state that ACPI BIOS is trying to write to an illegal IO port, which could lead to system instability.
From a previous post from someone else I looked at the website suggested which states that these arrors can cause the OS to stop responding which is exactley what I'm getting.

Is this the probable cause?
there is absoluley nothing I can find that could be causing it.

12-06-2002, 10:19 PM
Hi Geek Girl,

I posted a reply a few days ago on a same/similar issue for someone else and if it looks like the same problem I think it will be a BIOS update for your motherboard is required.

There is a Microsoft Knowledge Base article Q283649 which details some info re: Error Message: ACPI BIOS Is Attempting to Write to Illegal IO Port...

<http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q283649>

Now if you don't feel comfortable doing a BIOS update (flashing the ROM) then take your pc to someone qualified (whatever that may mean) If you have been able to backup all your important info from your pc BEFORE bios update all the better (just in case).

Cheers, Babe.
I am here until the moon goes down for any further info.

12-06-2002, 10:30 PM
XP is still very buggy and a exercise in bloatware 2000 is far more stable and efficient I still use 98 sec edition and have no problems with it, dont like the activation system which is user pays each year or month depends on the goodwill of Microsoft who chuck out 1/2 baked products then patch after patch to repair the holes and bugs I will never trust new operating systems look at ME it sucks bigtime and i regret ever putting it on my 2nd PC slow as and buggy seems to be a trait of all new software though.
So just remember dont be at the bleeding edge, the time and frustration not to mention the constant need to upgrade your hardware is ridiculous lean and mean is the best policy .
PS I consider Opera a better browser than Explorer though it has its limitations .

13-06-2002, 11:12 AM
I think it is unlikely that this error will be causing your lockups. If you can tell us more about your computer we may be able to diagnose your problem. Eg Motherboard, Video card, Network/Sound card etc.