PDA

View Full Version : Office 2000 Professional hic up

12-06-2002, 07:00 PM
I have been given a Compaq computer that someone no longer wants.
Comes preinstalled with WinME and 64mb of Ram and about 17gb HD.
It already had Word on it and other programs including a heap of adware and spyware that has since been removed.

I then installed my own copy of Office 2000 Pro onto it.

Now the fun begins.

If I attempt to open any of the office programs other than Word which you will remember was already installed anyway, the programs which are Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel, Access, Front Page, and Publisher will open and stay open for about 3-5 seconds and then automatically close.

I have been through the msconfig startup menu, nothing of interest appears in there.

Any idea's anyone.

12-06-2002, 07:31 PM
Hmmm... try uninstalling every bit of Office on the computer, including your recent Office 2000 Pro install. Then do a full re-install making sure to restart upon completion... if you have a problem now... well... I would say reformat the whole thing and get away from Windows ME to 98 or 98SE.

Lo.

12-06-2002, 08:14 PM
Be careful of formatting compaq s they usually have propriety boot sectors and you may not be able to access the Pc afterwards

12-06-2002, 10:29 PM
True, but I'm assuming you have quick restore cd's with your Compaq? They ship with as standard last time I checked...

Maybe a clean restore, with a clean install of Office 2000 Pro would be the answer then? I'm assuming there's nothing else you want from the computer??

Cheers,

Lo.

12-06-2002, 11:27 PM
WinME is not the problem though I do have a restore disk for it and considering the mess it is in, a reformat is not out of the question.

I think I have narrowed the problem down to something in the regedit, I will play and see what it coughs up.

13-06-2002, 01:06 AM
Hi

From the symptoms that you described, it is most likely that the copy of Office 2000 you installed is not the original copy. Check the Serial number, if it starts with GC6J3, then it probably is a pirated copy. Go back to the vendor who sold you the software and clarify with them.

Another solution is to look for another set of Serial No which is known to be good or original and then install Office 2000 again with this new set of serial number. Of course, you have to uninstall it first. If you are lucky, you may be able to search and get a new set of serial numbers from the Internet.

Cheers & good luck

bk