PDA

View Full Version : a couple of annoying problems

12-06-2002, 06:18 PM
* norton antivirus 2000 startup scan says it cannot locate virus definitions, how can i fix this?

* c: drive window appears when windows has loaded. i cannot find anything in taskbar\startup or under any of the run headings in regedit. this has been bothering me for a long time and no one has managed to help me fix it.

13-06-2002, 05:29 PM
Norton - I would try to reinstall

C: window - I assume you are referring to Windows Explorer state at startup. If so then how it starts depends on the stae it was in when you last shut down. If Win Exp was active when you last shut down it tries to remember what your current active directory window was and tries to open that when it wakes up again. If how ever you had closed Win Exp before you shut down it has nothing to remember and so it starts up with C: as it default home point. I am not aware of any setting that allows some other default but if you create a shortcut pointing to Win Exp then you can edit the shortcut properties and give the progam a parameter eg

C:\WINNT\EXPLORER.EXE D:\xyz

to get it to start in D:xyz . Ther are several qualifiers that can be used with Exp but cant lay my hands on the documentaion.