PDA

View Full Version : a couple of annoying problems

12-06-2002, 06:15 PM
* norton antivirus 2000 startup scan says it cannot locate virus definitions, how can i fix this?

* c: drive window appears when windows has loaded. i cannot find anything in taskbar\startup or under any of the run headings in regedit. this has been bothering me for a long time and no one has managed to help me fix it.

12-06-2002, 07:32 PM
Hello, For the second of your reported problems, have you checked the file win.ini. In the lines which start 'Load=' and 'Run=' without the quotes, if there is anything at all in these lines following the = then copy and paste the complete lines into a response. What may or may not be there doesn't have to refer to explorer or the c drive to cause this problem. If there is nothing there but a space followed by a comma it will cause this problem.
HTH PC

12-06-2002, 07:34 PM
Norton Antivirus.... Eeeew!! yucky! Unistall it and go get the a free virus checker from http://www.grisoft.com

It's not what I call 'bloatware' and has never slowed my system down when loading, compared with Norton... and I'm running a P4 1.8Ghz!

Lo.

12-06-2002, 07:42 PM
I use norton 2002 and the utilities as well have had no problems on my thunderbird 1 gigahertz PC running 98 sec edition I also run zonealarm pro and goback plus a few other essential utilities mind you I have 768 megs of ram onboard
tennisplayer43@hotmail.com
if you need any more advice

13-06-2002, 01:08 PM
Just uninstalled norton utils keeping the Norton anti virus and installed Fix-It a no nonsense program that is slimmer and does a really good job of cleaning up registry problems etc I cant comment on it defragging abilities yet as i havent had a chance to use it overall I am very impressed with its simplicity and power doesnt require as much resorces to run as nortons and seems to be faster and more efficient as well.
Thanks for the above comment made me do a read up on alternatives that are less popular but more powerful and slimmer as well. I also can recommend a program called PestPatrol designed to detect and remove trojan adware etc it found 3 components norton and adaware missed on my harddrive.