PDA

View Full Version : Program starts without permission on ME startup

12-06-2002, 06:12 PM
I can't find any obvious reason why Ontrack Powerdesk's file manager (a replacement file manager to ME's own Explorer) opens spontaneously when I boot WinME.

It is not in any start-up group. Sometimes one Powerdesk window appears, at other times two - one for each of my hard drives.

What would cause this? Any suggestions to fix it very much appreciated. Powerdesk is usually well-behaved.

12-06-2002, 06:22 PM
go start run type the below

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSCONFIG.EXE

then look in the start up tab that way you can see what is starting.

Just be careful with the rest

Regards

Ro GER

12-06-2002, 06:31 PM
Thanks - but that was one of the first places I looked. No sign of errant behaviour there.

14-06-2002, 11:22 AM
After a lot of hand-wringing, hair-tearing and troubleshooting regarding this problem, what appears to have fixed it is the uninstallation of all drivers and associated software to do with an AipTek USB graphics tablet I purchased about a month ago from Imaging Technology. The tablet came with a suite of software by an outfit called Pensoft.

When I first viewed the software (on CD) I was suspicious of it and surprised how inept and klutsy it was during installation, including its bad documentation. However eventually I installed it and promptly forgot about it. Until yesterday.

My double Explorer/Powerdesk windows and screen freezes on boot up have magically disappeared. Whew!

I hope this helps someone struggling with the same problem.