PDA

View Full Version : ADSL & Dialup at same time?

12-06-2002, 05:09 PM
Hi There,

I have a JetStream Lite connection with Xtra using an Alcatel SpeedTouch Pro on one of my 2 phone lines into the house.
The second line is used for Fax and Dial-up using a PSTN modem to support customers via PCAnywhere etc...

My problem is that when I connect using the PSTN modem on one line, my ADSL goes offline.
I dont think that it is the ADSL modem as such as it shows that it is still connected via its LEDs.
I wonder whether there is some issue with my OS (Win2kSP2) which inhibits this dual connection?

Have you heard of this before?

Best Regards
Richard Schwass

12-06-2002, 05:24 PM
I've also tried this but there's no option of multilinking both devices which there was if you had two internal modems.

The reason why it does this is because the computer switches the IP address to the one on the dialup because it's now acting as the gateway to the internet. The ADSL one is still connected but is no longer the gateway.

I would like to hear if someone knows if there's a way to make use of both ADSL and dialup at the same time.

12-06-2002, 07:26 PM
It can be done if you have a 2 networked pc's. Set up the Pc with the Adsl connection as a NAT proxy server or using MS connection sharing.
then connect to the net using the dialup connection on the other pc and use it for d/l and browsing It works alright and gives a slightly high d/l speed for apps connecting to the net never bothered measuring this seeing I've only done it by accident when the main pc was connected to the net and I used the second pc to connect to the Uni network which allows internet access though it's proxy server. Both connections reported data transfer and the file transfer speed of the file I was downloading jumped about 5KB's.