PDA

View Full Version : Audio CD

12-06-2002, 10:34 AM
We recently upgraded our computer and now have a CD burner.
Boy its been a learning curve and we have had quite a few coasters.
Ive created some good audio cds from mp3- they work fine on my stereo system.
However much to my daughters disapointment they dont play on her stereo or my ex wifes stereo. Why is this?! and is there a solution.
Im picking they will have to upgrade their stereo system!

12-06-2002, 11:47 AM
Easy... if you've upgraded your system, and thrown on a CD writer, my bet would be that you've been burning audio at speeds greater than 8X or even 12X .... you're prob getting up to over that, yeah? Well, older audio equipment can't really handle those high speed burnt cd's.

The best thing to do is to burn EVERYTHING at 4X (for audio) or 2X if possible, although writers greater than 12X will not do this, and have a 4X minimum.

Unfortunately not many ppl know this, and while newer stereos and cd players are more forgiving of jitter errors caused by burning at too high a speed, older ones aren't.

Try a CD burnt at 4X and tell me how you get on. Takes longer but it will work ;)

Lo.

12-06-2002, 01:22 PM
some players cant read mp3s some can luck of the draw what you have same applies to dvd playeres you can burn in wave format but this restricts you to about 20 songs max they will howewver play on most cd players. I recommend you use cd creator 5 platinum for file backup and clone cd to burn whole disks

12-06-2002, 02:01 PM
Thanks Guys,
I was more concerned with straight audio cds. The mp3 ones come out good.
Ill try burnuing at the lower speed then.
I forgot to mention we have Nero 5, Prassi and Roxio software on here.
Tried a variety of cd- including a melody x40 cdr- bearing in mind I was using a 32x10x40 cd writer
I was wondering if the older stereos had a different audio format?

12-06-2002, 07:37 PM
dont have nero and cd creator on at the same time that will cause conflicts just as having two virus checkers or defrag programs will cause problems

12-06-2002, 07:48 PM
Hello chris,

Just to add another wrinkle, A friend, had the same problems, cds not playing, or slow to load or sporadic music on his stereo. It turned that that dust and ash from the fireplace had got onto the reading parts of the cd player.

After it was professionally cleaned it works well.

good luck,
Bob

12-06-2002, 11:21 PM
Thanks Lo and Gordon

I hadn't intended to install both on my computer at the same time. I was looking for a comparison between the two to see whether it was worth changing to Nero and trashing Easy CDCreator. But thanks for the warning!

Thanks for the comparison Lo.

Sounds like Chris has got three burner programmes on board!

John

13-06-2002, 01:31 AM
I forgot to mention that we are running XP pro on this machine- fairly high spec. This has its own cd burner native to the OS by the looks of it.
I may have put you all wrong re the software.
We have Prassi, Nero 5 and the native one which Im not sure what flavour it is.
Looks like we should rationalise by the sound of it.
Does this mean any alteration to settings/configuration?
So therees the compatibility ? and the speed problem?

13-06-2002, 12:16 PM
Something i discovered, i went to play the first audio CDR i burnt on a Sony CDP M33 cd player, it was fine.

I then i tried my luck using a CDRW disk, the sony CD player couldn't read it.

It would appear that the type of disks makes a big differance!

13-06-2002, 04:30 PM
Thanks Guys for the help.
Yes Ive taken off Prassi and will use nero from now on.
Ive heard about the cdrw thing- havnt tried using one for audio and I also wondered about buying the specially formated audio cd- whats the reason for those?

13-06-2002, 06:38 PM
I'm a bit of a late-starter to the music downloading and burning game but my experience confirms what the others have said.

I've got Nero and just drag and drop tracks in the Wizard until I've got a full disk (20-22 songs depending on size). Nero converts the MP3s to audio format and I burn at the lowest setting available - 8x.

So far, so good. Haven't had a coaster yet (X for fingers crossed!).

I was rapt to find that all three of the music CDs burnt so far work on ALL our CD players, and one of those is around eight years old.

Must be doing something right!