PDA

View Full Version : Processor speed rating

12-06-2002, 08:59 AM
Hi I am doing an assignment and have a question. If you could answer it or know of where I can find the answer I would be thankful

Question is:

Give a detailed explanation contrasting Intel's processor speed rating system compared to AMD's processor speed rating system.

Thank heaps

12-06-2002, 10:42 AM
Well you could download 'whitepapers' for intel and AMD and understand how each proccesor works and then make a critical analysis.
or you could type your question or something similar into ask jeeves or a search engine and see what pops out.

12-06-2002, 01:53 PM
Okay, IMHO, AMD Athlon XP Is the best, by far creaming a same speed Intel Pentium Chip, or even faster in most cases. In one of the PC World (Fairly recent, maybe 1-2 months) a review was done stating how an AMD Athlon XP 2000+ beat the stuffing out of a 2.1Ghz Pentium Proccessor. And the clock speed of the AMD was about 1.63Ghz I believe.
For gaming, AFAIK, ratings of proccessors goes like this:
AMD Athlon XP
Intel Pentium
AMD Celeron
AMD Duron
Best speed being at the top, if all clock speeds were the same. I hope that this answers your question.

All up, For performance, it's better to have a AMD Athlon XP than an Intel Pentium Proccessor
Tell me if this helps - post back
Jo

12-06-2002, 03:32 PM
The hardware sites have covered it quite well.

eg www.arstechnica.com www.tomshardware.com www.anandtech.com

12-06-2002, 10:03 PM
Hi Nathan.
Try this address:

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,69524,00.asp

It is about AMD's controversial numbering (rating) system whereby they rate performance as opposed to actual speed.

I am not up on this at all, (someone will shoot me down in flames if necessary no doubt) but I think it is like calling an 1800 speed a 1900 speed because depending on usage it performs like the faster one. With their rating system, instead of just claiming that their 1800 is as fast as Intel's 1900, they actually call it a 1900.

I hope this info.(if correct) is of some use to you.

Cheers.
LL

12-06-2002, 10:16 PM
Nathan, when you try the site I mentioned in my previous response, make sure that you click on the two blue links named, 'Launched the program' and 'Confusion'. They explain the situation rather well.

LL