PDA

View Full Version : Why did you sign up for DSL/Cable?

11-06-2002, 03:02 PM
I just want to know all your reasons why you signed up for broadband. After reading a previous post it made me wonder if capping it is limiting what most people signed up for in the first place.

I know for starters I signed up for gaming and downloading. Viewing webpages quicker is also good but I never looked at it as that.

I am with paradise who have a 10GB traffic limit. The most I've ever done is 8GBs but that was when I first got it. Now I'm lucky if I even come close to 3Gigs.

If the ISP offers Unlimited traffic does that mean only that ISP will have the problems or are they all linked? I haven't had any noticable slowdowns running DSL.

11-06-2002, 04:42 PM
I have also DSL through Paradise, I mainly use it to free up my phone line. Works out to be cheaper than two phone lines and a slow dialup. The closest I ever got to 10gig is about 5 1/2 and that was mainly for friends and Mandrake. Seems to be no slowdown. Works well.

11-06-2002, 05:07 PM
Hi Kame

I signed up for Jetstream/xtra to allow me to have four lines on two pairs of copper, saving the cost of a third fax & modem line. I originally had three lines, private, business and data.

For me, Jetstream (500) has not cost me any more than my previous arrangements and I get the speed advantage.

I also wanted the speed advantage for researching information during my work. Dial-up was costing me a fortune in wasted time that I couldn't on-charge. I'm not into gaming but I confess an small addiction to Press F1 which probably costs me a few bucks in wasted work time if the truth be told.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

11-06-2002, 05:37 PM
Freeing up the phone.

Downloading.

Always on internet.

Speed.

Dial up was just becoming a pain, ISP's are oversubscribing forcing people onto ADSL. 56 used to be ok but these days its just a joke....webpages are getting graphically intense, downloads are getting bigger so ADSL is a must..........

12-06-2002, 08:20 AM
Delightful article from the Melbourne Age as follows:

A Download Off My Mind

By RED SYMONS
Tuesday 7 November 2000

I should caution you about cable modem. In almost all regards it is superior to the old dialup telephone connection. When you turn a page it is just like turning a page, rather than rolling a rock from the mouth of a cave. There are, however, a few things that are better served by a slow connection.

If you wish to view pictures of naturists, the advantage of a sluggish connection is that the image slowly fills out the page from the top. Firstly, the hair is revealed. Mm, nice hair. Then the face. Mm, what a nice smile. She seems to be enjoying herself. Mm, what an even tan. Then the remaining parts. Mm, those Germans really know how to relax at the beach/in the woods/on the coffee table. Don't they?

With cable modem, it's all revealed in a flash.You feel like you are thumbing through Curiosities and Anomalies of Medicine, rather than watching the dance of the 56 kilobitspersecond veil.

Presentation is very important. Don't you think? Naturist magazines, incidentally, cater for the lefthanded in disregard for the majority. A typical naturist magazine would have pictures of the naturist, fully dressed, arriving at the resort in the first few pages of the magazine and, in the later part of the magazine, pictures of the naturist gambolling about on the tennis court/in the woods/on the coffee table, having shed the discomforting clothing. A quick perusal of such magazines in the newsagent would involve holding the magazine with righthand while riffling the left thumb through the pages. The naturist pictures are thus viewed in the incorrect chronological sequence. It is for this reason that I prefer the Japanese naturist magazines to the German variety. Since Japanese books go back to front, a quick flick takes you in the right direction.

To return to the subject, the advantages of cable modem outweigh these minor concerns. Now that my computer has a cable modem, the world of international intellectual property theft is my purloined oyster. I infringed my own copyright the other day. Yes, I'm a wag.

Using the Napster software, I downloaded a song that I had written and recorded 25 years ago. Napster is a dating agency for music lovers. When you log on to the Napster site, it tells you that there are tens of thousands of people all over the world who are simultaneously logged on, and each of these users makes their music files available to you. Napster keeps a tally of who'sgotwhatsongwhere and, if you want a copy of it, you follow Napster's directions and download it on to your own hard drive. Napster is the guy in the pub whose mate got it when it fell off the back of a truck. Napster is not stealing anything from anyone. Napster is just the fence.

I was pretty pleased with myself for actually finding my own song among the oneandahalf million songs on the system. Does that make me special? Perhaps I'm like the Chinese gentleman who is a one in a million guy. There's 1000 more just like him, anyway.

The argument put forward by the record companies is that Napster is going to ruin the music business by taking income away from the artist. The barons are imploring the peasants to take up arms against the insurgent who threatens to steal the small bag of oats left over after tribute has been paid to the barons. In reality, the artists are far more adaptable than the record companies and are likely to take this in their stride. The musicians will get jobs as waiters, alongside the actors.

All philosophical debate about what ought to happen evaporates in the face of what can be done. Nothing. It's happening and no one can stop it. Further, the exchange of music is just the tip of the iceberg. Anything that is reducible to incorporeal information can and will be exchanged by individuals, whether the true owner likes it or not.

Few would remember a small button on the side of the original audiocassette recorders. It was called ?multiplex? or ?beats?. This button would have no apparent effect when used in Australia. If, however, you were recording a song in the United States from an FM radio station, this button would need to be activated in order to block the extra tone that was broadcast to interfere with the recording process. Simply put, the music corporations tried to stop people recording music and hardware makers just worked around it.

The music industry are now trying to put some sort of copy protection into recorded music. I imagine that will work about as well as the coding they put into DVDs to make them region specific. Don't bother guys. On the other hand, Napster was bought by a German record company last week, so the record companies are obviously getting smarter. I wonder what they'll do with it.

A curious thing happened while I was stealing intellectual property with Napster. In the upper pane of the transfer window you can see the progress of the songs you are downloading from out in the ether. In the bottom pane you can see what is being uploaded from you.

It was at this point I noticed that someone was stealing my song from me the one I had just stolen myself. Whoever you are, you thieving bastard, I want you to know that your actions are morally reprehensible and a threat to the future of recorded music.

http://www.theage.com.au/entertainment/2000/11/07/FFXC7YRFMGC.html

12-06-2002, 09:41 AM
Got sick of being disconnected from napster just when 90% of a song i wanted was D/loaded, to free up the tel line no one could ever contact me lol , after my HDD was accidently wiped by my boarder i decided enough was enough 6 months of data = one month download time on cable. Also Chello at the time was unlimited and at 512 kbs a bargain price until they closed it down now on Paraidise which is more reliable but slower and has a cap of 10 gigs per month which isnt much if you like to use audiogalaxy win mx and kazaa etc plus surf the net on a regular basis NB Telecom are a ripp off for pricing