PDA

View Full Version : Spam

10-06-2002, 10:46 PM
Just out of curiosity, is anybody else out there getting lots of spam in the form of returned undeliverable e-mail such as when it si sent to a non-existent address and the mail returns such message?
I seem to get at least 20-30 daily. So I'm wondering, is this a new way to get people to read them (just to fool us) or have they somehow used my e-mail address as the senders?

11-06-2002, 09:43 AM
It could be that you have a virus on your PC that is trying to email itself out. But the recipients ISP/mailserver is probably picking this up and not allowing it through hence the email returned.

I saw a PC the other day that had the Klez virus on it. I remove this and installed a virus checker and then checked the email on it. It received 96 emails and all of them were returns of undeliverable mail because of the Klez virus!

11-06-2002, 01:21 PM
Well... I don't use MS Outlook or Outlook Express. And my virus scanner is always up to date.
And the main message is spam for nude sites!

Craig321
08-07-2002, 02:28 PM
I have the same problem. It is driving me mad. I now clear my mail via the web server then go back invia outlook express to pull down the good stuff I need. I'd really like to know how to stop the 30 to 50 items of returned mail from other peoples servers. And you're correct in that it all looks to be related to adult material. Basically I hate the fact thast some one has grabbed my email address and is using it as a masking agent to send mail with me listed as the reply. Changing pass words etc is not the answer - it continues to occurr. It seems that the only way might be to create a new address.
If any one has an answer - I would really like to know. Cheers.
Craig321

Colpol
08-07-2002, 02:43 PM
Gordon put me on to a beute program called "mailwasher". Use it to scan your email address BEFORE you open IE and it will show you the headings only. Then you can delete the ones you dont want. It will also return spam emails to the sender so they think you email address doesn't exist and will stop sending it to you

godfather
08-07-2002, 02:57 PM
Have you ever posted your email address on a website, forum, bulletin board or any place semi public?

There are email harvesting programs around, and people using them as a source of extra revenue.

They type in a likely web address or list of addresses and it returns with a file of every email address found on the site. They then sell those addresses to the type of people that you are talking about. I know of people that get hit often, as a result of their email address being on their home page, which has been "harvested"

In this case the only solution is to change your address.

Colpol
08-07-2002, 03:02 PM
I can send you mailwash if you want it. Leave a message.

mark c
08-07-2002, 03:06 PM
But 'returning' the mail with Mailwasher just clogs up the Internet because the addresses aren't authentic. The spammers use masses of temporary addys to pour the stuff out to attract you to a site. Been plenty of posts about that here before.

Graham L
08-07-2002, 04:03 PM
Here we go again. :-( :-( :-(

Colpol recommends using mailwasher because it can return this stuff (bounced email "undeliverable") as "undeliverable".

Have you ever heard the term " infinite loop "?

I wonder how much faster the Internet would be if people learned that the only sensible response to Spam and bounced Spam is SILENCE .

By all means use mailwasher. But don't add to the utter clutter by using revenge mode.

Colpol
08-07-2002, 04:10 PM
Sorry all. I hadnt thought of that conseqence but the idea of deleting before downloading is sound.
P.s. I didnt actually use the program as I had already changed (reluctantly) my default email.

mark c
08-07-2002, 04:15 PM
Gotta say I was surprised the Letter of the Month in the latest PCWorld (hey folks, subscribe, support this site!) went to someone advocating Mailwasher without even mentioning this well thrashed out aspect of the "infinite loop'.

Susan B
08-07-2002, 06:54 PM
Check out our very own FAQs:

FAQ #16 How do I get rid of SPAM? (http://pressf1.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=21706)