PDA

View Full Version : Windows 98 freezes at boot up

10-06-2002, 02:58 PM
I have this problem where a computer was used as a backup machine for a drive from another computer.
Anyway, the computer used to backup has one hard drive, and then a normal cd rom, and a cd writer.
The hard drive from the other machine was connected to the second connector on the primary hard drives IDE cable and the transferring of files completed.
Afterwards the drive was removed from the IDE cable and the computer rebooted, but on rebooting, the computer now only gets to the Windows 98 screen and then it freezes, no bar moving along the bottom at all.
The only way I can get the computer to boot is within safe mode.
I had a look in device manager when in safe mode and under hard disks, there are 3 listed. Should I remove all 3 and let windows find the hard drive again, or should I remove just two and see what happens?
The master hard drive in the back up computer is split into 3 partitions, but in device manager it should only show as one physical drive, right?
All the 3 drives shown in device manager have the letters c, e and f reserved for them, but f is also reserved for one of the cd roms.
Anyway, how can I get it to boot normally as this is quite urgent.

Thanks

10-06-2002, 03:59 PM
Intersting,

First thing to remember that in safe mode the devices showing in system properties are not always accurate.

I would try diconnecting all other drives in the PC, thus trying to eliminate whether it is one of your other devices causing the problem.

Check your BIOS settings to make sure that the HDD info is correct.

Boot into safe mode and delete all entries in their. This may cause the computer to freeze when you delete the correct one as it now does not know you have a hard drive installed.

Try these and see what happens.