PDA

View Full Version : WinXP Woes (Heard this B4!?)

10-06-2002, 12:40 PM
Okay, Win XP Home keeps Crashing on me and re-starting for no reason at all. The RAM on the Desktop Presario was upgraded from 128 to 256 because the the supplier thought that the RAM might be faulty, no luck though. It Hangs and has to be killed at the power if the Box or Monitor is touched at all, and it will frequently hang, even during use, and also restart from time to time for no reason. It's been formatted about 3-4 times, but nothing changes.
It's a Celeron 1.0Ghz (Reported as 799Mhz though in the properties of My Computer), 256 MB Ram, 28GB HDD, nVidia RIVA TNT2 Model 64 Graphics card, connecting through a LAN to internet etc.
Any help much appreciated.
I've just updated the Grahpics driver, there are no system updates, so I'm not too sure what else.
Thanks
Joe

10-06-2002, 03:49 PM
Those symptoms sound like Overheating or AGP bus/Video card problems.

Compaqs usually have good thermal management, so I would be pointing the finger at the Video Adapter.

10-06-2002, 04:36 PM
If the system crashes 'if the Box or Monitor is touched at all' I would suspect a bad connection. Start from the power plug into the computer and move it carefully and see if you can reproduce that fault. If not, slip the cover off the computer and by gentil tapping with something insulated (plastic) try to locate an area that is sensitive to mechanical shock. If you are causing power glitches; that could explain your computer's behaviour.