PDA

View Full Version : What is DTLM & DSTN Please

10-06-2002, 12:10 AM
I read a Post from Respondent .45 to John Grieve's & others Posts to his Telecom Problem. Could some one explain to this Newbie what DTLM & DSTN are & what they do. If as .45 says it is an Optical cable into the DTLM thingy then I assume it is copper wire out to us. Shouldn't that make for a faster service, or does this DTLM slow things down somehow? Oh & please speak slowly in small words!!
I only read slowly & have small ears (only kidding in that last sentence!!)
Thanks John M

10-06-2002, 10:32 AM
John, they're a couple of Telecom terms:
DTLM = Digital Transmission Line Module - a 2 Mbps interface on an exchange (and works in conjunction with a module in one of those cabinets at the side of the road to provide service for 30 customers). These are not new technology, they have been used for years.

DSTN = Digital Services Transport Network - a dedicated leased line service sold to business customers for computer networks. Is is now superceded by the ATM network (no, not money machines, they're a different ATM).

10-06-2002, 12:37 PM
While the DTLM is not new tech the PCM card now being used in the DTLM is. The problem I have appears to be partially related to 'firmware' that runs the PCM card.

It should by all rights be fine but for some reason (unknown so far) it is a total cockup. As Telecom faults now claim everything is running perfectly (meaning they believe there is no problem) I am having to learn about the tech bit by bit from whoever I can who knows about it. There is a problem with these new PCM cards to do with the signal strength it uses and modems to close to the box with it in. My problem however (effective halving of my connection speed) is not normal at all but as Telecom faults have cleared the gear my problem does not exist.

Thats existentialism for you!!

10-06-2002, 07:53 PM
OK People, Thanks, I've got the gist of it now. John M