PDA

View Full Version : What is ASPI / Ripping CDs

09-06-2002, 08:14 PM
I have been trying to rip CDs into MP3 format and have run into multiple problems. I downloaded Media Jukebox (ver 8)and although it recognises that an audio cd is in the reader, it won't play it or record it. A msg box appears that says that it can't find any ASPI softwar on my system, do I want to download it and install it? I've done this at least five times and still the message appears. DART Recorder has a similar message. I tried Freerip MP3, and that won't recognise either my cd reader or recorder. What is going on? I have ripped CDs in the past, but I can't remeber what software I used. What is this ASPI stuff? Are there better rippers out there that I should be using? (I don't mind paying a reasonable sum for one). System: PIII 550, Win 98 SE.
Any help is appreciated Ta.
Ray.A.

09-06-2002, 08:48 PM
Cdex works fine! it's one of those minamal progs that does the job without trying to be all show, bells , and whistles. I use it, i recomend it. It has some ability to prepare the files for burning if you so wish later.. although i am yet to try this.

09-06-2002, 08:51 PM
ASPI is the go-between if you like that allows the OS (win98) to use your cd player. It allows data formats such as cd audio and others to be read and interpreted correctly.

Is the cd player actually a cd writer, or player only??

You can get a version of ASPI for windows 98 etc at:

ftp://ftp4.nero.com/NeroASPIen.exe

and read the readme.txt file.

This should help.

Craig.

09-06-2002, 09:16 PM
I use Audio Catalyst myself great program and really easy to use welcome to contact me if you want more advice tennisplayer43@hotmail.com

10-06-2002, 07:56 AM
Hello Ray,

A couple of things to check, in options, cdwriter settings check that media jukebox has detected your writer, using the generic driver may help you, read the help file here first.

And Media jukebox doesn't come with mp3 encoder on board, it has to be downloaded. check in options encoding.

good luck,

Bob