PDA

View Full Version : Video card voltages ??

09-06-2002, 09:54 AM
My compaq pressario 5730, has on the m`board beside the agp slot `1.5v cards only`, i have tried to change to geforce 3 & 4 ti, but they will not work, compaq think it might be due to m`board, which is a pain as it`s their latest system, any thoughts on this, please.

09-06-2002, 11:06 AM
the later geforce cards are fine. only earlier video cards reqired 3v motherboards(including the infamous vodoo5&6)

09-06-2002, 11:52 AM
There shouldn't be a problem with the GeForce 3's but definitely the GF 4's will pose a problem.

The GF 4's require 1.75v to post.....and then they will happily run on 1.5v.

Apart from the older cards the tweak'e mentioned these are the only newer cards that have this problem. Have you tried the likes of a GF 2 in there?

09-06-2002, 01:38 PM
are you sure thats the right model number as compaq don't have anything under that model number.

what is the standard video card it came out with?

i know there is a small glitch with geforce4 440's but if a g3 won't go...mmmmmmm???

i wonder if the motherboard can't supply enough currant hence a voltage drop or mayby even the powersupply is to small to handle it. supermarket pc's usualy come out with minimal power supply's.

edit: well blow me over with a feather just found that pc on their site. werid their own search engine can't find their own models and its only a fluke i found the right page.

try a 350watt power supply. your pc only has a itsi bitsy 235watt powersupply.

10-06-2002, 08:30 AM
Currently running geforce 2mx. will try compaq, again, they make it, so you would think they could haelp. Geforce 3 would not run either, get as far as asking for installation cd, then start to copy files & stops, saying `data invalid`tried latest drivers of the net but no good.