PDA

View Full Version : more updates???

08-06-2002, 09:38 PM
every time i am on the net my computer is always getting updates from microsoft' there must be a end in sight. i am running me with outlook6.
any ideas

09-06-2002, 12:55 AM
Stu,

I wonder if each time you actually wait for the download to complete and install. If not, then this might be why it is trying to download the updates each time.

To check and see if there are any critical updates for your system specifically try going to this URL:
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com

The web page there will scan your system and see if there are relevant updates. I'm not sure if that site works for all Windows versions or just XP (since that's where it sent me to on my computer's 'Windows Update' feature) but you didn't say which version of Windows you're using, so hopefully you'll be able to surf to the relevant site for your version from there :)

HTH

Callum

09-06-2002, 01:40 AM
I'm also running ME and my system also connects to the update site almost everytime I go online but this is mostly to actually check for updates and not download any. It will look like it is getting updates but I believe that it actually downloading the update checking software which then tells the autoupdater exactly what your puter needs and doesn't. The auto updater works in the same way as if you go to hte site itself....and yes there is a site for each OS that I have used. Try it and you will understand better. Either go to www.microsoft.com and then windows and windows update or use the windows update icon in your start menu of ME

09-06-2002, 10:22 AM
cheers for your thoughts,
but could not find the ansewer there - at microsoft, and as i am righting this it has started once more. ' bloody thing'.when i put the mouse over the little microsoft icon in system tray buy the time it says downloading updates and the how much it's downloaded.

09-06-2002, 04:53 PM
You can disable the automatic update feature by going to your control panel and selecting automatic updates in there. You will find the option for enabling or disabling this feature. If you do disable it I recommend you visit the update site reguarly to check for updates as the critical updates are just that.....critical.