PDA

View Full Version : USB optical mouse intermittently dies

08-06-2002, 05:35 PM
Hi. I have a Pentium III 550e with 384 MB Ram. I've had an A4tech USB optical mouse for about three months now. For the first couple of months it was great but for the last month or so for no apparent reason it stops working and and windows dialog box xomes up saying that new hardware has been detected - do I want to install it. This goes through the process of installing the mouse.

I have checked system information and all devices are usually shown to be working fine, including the mouse, (Human Interface Device), but when this problem occurs I've checked system info, (using keyboard shortcuts) and the mouse isn't listed.

I''ve tried downloading newer drivers from the A4tech site but they don't list my mouse model, (WOP-35PU) and the closest match that I could get hasn't helped at all.

Any advice or comments on similar experiences would be most appreciated.

08-06-2002, 05:41 PM
Hi Brett

Sounds like its losing its connection, and when its remakes it being correctly diagnosed as new hardware attached.

Could be the power connections on the USB connector or cable that could be at fault? To exclude the USB port, those mice came with a USB to PS2 adaptor, have you tried it in a PS2 mouse port to see if it does the same? The mouse has a light underneath, visible from behind, which glows brighter as soon as it moves. Does this light ever go out? (loss of power)

HTH

tj

08-06-2002, 09:06 PM
Brett often the best solution is the simplest one.

Sounds like it might be a loose connection.
Pull the mouse plug out, replug it back in and restart the computer.

If that doesnt work, maybe you installed something recently that is conflicting with your driver? Check what you have installed recently and uninstall it if possible (if its not a vital program).

Other than that i suspect someone might of been using the mouse as a gladiator weapon ~~