PDA

View Full Version : Can the 'Contacts' folder be made to reside in the data partition?

07-06-2002, 07:59 PM
I use WinXP/OE6. Hard drive is partitioned with OS, programs & data assigned to separate partitions. The 'Contacts' folder in MS Outlook is where I store addresses.

Can the 'Contacts' folder be made to reside in the data partition, in the same way as 'My Documents' and message folders from OE, can be relocated to the data partition?

Bobson

07-06-2002, 08:18 PM
have a look at xsetup. very handy for doing those changes. www.xteq.com

08-06-2002, 07:37 AM
Thanks Tweak'e.

I've had a look at x-setup. It does provide a stack of solutions, but unfortunately, not the one I'm looking for.

Bobson.

08-06-2002, 08:58 PM
What contacts folder? I presume you are talking about the 'real' Outlook, not Outlook Express. Depending on your version of Outlook this could be easy or hard. If you have a pre-Outlook 2000 version then there will be a PST file which will have all your local folders in it. This will apply to Outlook 2000/XP also, but only if it's been set up in 'Corporate' mode. The home user mode I can't help you with. If you have one of these versions of Outlook, you can find out if it's in corporate mode by pulling down the 'Tools' menu. If there is a 'Services' entry then it's in corporate mode. If you select Services and double click 'Personal Folders' it will tell you the path to the PST file.

08-06-2002, 10:54 PM
Thank you for responding to my post BIFF.

The 'Contacts' folder that I wish to relocate is the 'Contacts' folder in MS Outlook 2002, in MS Office XP. 'Contacts' manages all my addresses and shares this address store with Outlook Express 6. In earlier versions of Outlook Express it was easy to configure OE to use Contacts as the default address manager. WinXP/OE6 does not allow selecting this option so I had to edit a line in the WinXP registry.

Now I want to relocate my store of addresses to my data partition in the same way as I relocated the message store. If for any reason the OS goes belly up and needs a clean reinstall, all my data is safe, all messages and all addresses included.

Since receiving your post, I searched for .PST files but get no results on the search.

I also followed your instructions to see if my version of Outlook has been set up in corporate mode. No luck there either.

Bobson