PDA

View Full Version : standby VS shutdown

07-06-2002, 01:22 PM
once the computer is turned on in the morning, and when I have finished doing what Im doing...is it better to put the computer on to stand by, or is it better to turn it off, not knowing if I need the computer later on?. Is it wearing out things more by constantly turning on the comp as apposed to leaving it on. I am just a home user.
thanks

07-06-2002, 01:51 PM
Its probably a matter of personal preference, but I have found standby causes unexplained program glitches when it resumes.

Leaving it on 24/7 is going to cost you around $9 per month in power assuming the monitor is in standby or off.

I dont think failures due to restarts are a significant factor on home PCs.

I run a SOHO setup and power down when not in use. Monitors automatically go into standby mode, or are powered off.

tj

07-06-2002, 09:36 PM
Hi Gary,

My habit is to turn off the PC if I'm sure I'm not going to use it for 3+ hours. Otherwise I just switch off the monitor and occasionally I put it into standby mode (which turns off the hard drive too). I'm running Win98SE and I find it fails to 'wake up' after standby mode about 1 time in 4 with my particular setup. It's quite a gamble whether it will wake up. Funnily enough, if it's been in standby mode for less than 3 hours it usually wakes up fine, but any longer seems to put it into never-never land. Maybe newer versions of Windows are better, I don't know.

Cheers,
Rod.

07-06-2002, 10:07 PM
thanks Rod & TJ for your ideas, i did put the hard drive onto stand by once, ages ago and like yours it refused to wake (im running win 98se) and I had to reboot. Have never put the hdd on stand by since, the monitor goes on stand by no probs. thanks to you both, I wasnt sure what the response was going to be. you have both given me enough to make a decision on whether to stand by or shutdown. I will allow the monitor to stand by, but not the hdd, and if not using it for several hours, I think I will shutdown. Thanks guys for the good advice.

Gary