PDA

View Full Version : error message-winxp

07-06-2002, 10:51 AM
while trying to install a HP CD-writer on my winxp professional system I received a message saying it hadn't passed the logo testing and would damage the comp. if allowed to continue.SO, I removed all the pertinent files and restarted my computer.I now get an error message saying'A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer'It goes on to suggest virus checking and removing any newly installed stuff but wont let me get in to do these things.It gives technical information as
***STOP:0x0000007B (0xF9E49640,0xC0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000)I've only had this machine for 3 weeks so am reluctant to go back to the shop for advice so soon. Thanks in advance

07-06-2002, 11:30 AM
This below from Microsoft support site may help.

May depend how you *removed* the files and if any were system-critical?

CAUSE
This problem may occur if one or more of the following conditions exists:

Your computer is infected with a boot sector virus.

A device driver required by your boot controller is not configured to start at boot time or is corrupt. If during a WINNT /B installation no mass storage device was detected.

A resource conflict exists between the boot controller and another controller in the system or between SCSI devices.

Drive translation is not being performed or was changed.

The boot volume is corrupt and cannot be mounted by Windows NT.

Information in the Windows NT registry about which device drivers load at start up is corrupt.

If this error occurred during Windows NT Setup while reading Windows NT Setup floppy disk 2, you may have the Drive Swapping option enabled in your computer BIOS.

Using winnt /b as the installation method may present a timing issue for the disk controller. The controller is not given enough time to respond and identify itself and is therefore detected incorrectly or not at all.

If you run Setup from a bootable SCSI CD-ROM drive, you receive a STOP 7B error message because Setup does not allow you to add a third-party SCSI driver when you boot from the SCSI CD-ROM.

07-06-2002, 01:05 PM
I think you may have deleted some very important files along the way.

If you have a boot disk, (a labeled floppy disk should have come with your PC) put that in the drive when the computer starts up and try a system restore. To find out how to do this, type 'Help' (minus the apostrophies) at the prompt.

Did the site you got the driver from say that it was for XP? If it did, then no worries; install that driver. I really don't know who to blame for this, HP for not signing the driver or MS for not making it feasible. If I had a dime for every driver I've installed that's not 'certified'...