PDA

View Full Version : Win2K sharing problems...

06-06-2002, 01:02 PM
I am rebuilding a small win2K network, the first machine has been set up from scratch and has been accessing the internet gateway and is seen by the others. Yesterday morning i set up a shared folder on the first machine, and was able to move data to it from the others, atleast this was the case till about lunch time, Now all the other machines see it, but cannot see it's shared zip-drive, or it's shared folder, infact they complain that '\\machine1 is not accessable The network path was not found'

Any one willing to offer any clues?????

06-06-2002, 01:47 PM
Don't you just hate that.

It's something that really puzzles me how everything works fine and dandy one minute and then without doing anything the next minute it won't work...

I don't know the answer, but I'll keep an eye on this thread because I'm curious on the answer myself :)

Callum

06-06-2002, 04:11 PM
This is all magic. If you look at the statistics of everything which has to be working perfectly all the time, networks are impossible.

However, my first response would be to activate the BRS. (Or it used to be red ... the power switch on machine1 ...).

It could easily be one of *those* things: in a network (or multiuser computer) it's almost impossible to duplicate the exact combination of circumstances which cause a lockup or failure to work because two things from different sources collided.

It might work perfectly after a reboot.

06-06-2002, 05:04 PM
unfortunatly now we are on to day 2 of this, yes there are now 2 of us working on this, and we seem to be no closer. We have rebooted more times than can be counted.... Sheesh.. thy shall not be beaten, that is the motto.

Another clue..everything can see machine1, machine1 can surf, but nothing can see in, everything we do seems to only make this worse, so we end up back where we started...

if we were not of good humour we would be screaming by now!!!!

07-06-2002, 11:22 AM
hmm you have to be more specific about this question like...

1. how many computers in the network? you said small...how many users?

2.how many users complained that they cannot see machine1? if its one or two users...check the network cable.

3.You mentioned that 'you can move data from the shared folder fromt the other machines'...in this case..it could when u logged on you could be in Administrtor acct. thats why u can accessed the shared folder...but u have tried logging in using just normal users acct.?

4. The '$' (dollar string) makes any shared folder or drive hidden, only Administrators or any users that has given the permissions to ses it, can see it...i dont know if u know this.
So u have to amke a new sharedname without the dollar string in the front.

5.Or lastly you may have a collisions in your network..thats why i asked how many users or computers in the network....if its more than 15 or 20 computers...i think then that segmentting it would be a good idea....IMHO.

Jim Q.

07-06-2002, 06:26 PM
My co-worker Erin 'Wilson' Has put up a post about this issue @ the following address, just a few posts up. In the interests of avoiding duplication, i am going to answer all questions, and beg for help here:

http://www.idg.net.nz/pcwpressf1/24AF38E88029445CCC256BD0007EC731.html

BTW thanks to all those who have given help so far!