PDA

View Full Version : HTML and complex forms...

05-06-2002, 06:37 PM
Hi there,

I have a page in ASP and HTML which has two forms in it. The first form is used to insert records into a database and was coded by dreamweaver ultradev.

I won't pretend to understand its code, so I made a second form to carry data to the next page using:

<input type ='hidden' Name ='Example' Value ='<%=Example('Example')%>'>

And on the second page:

<%Request.Form('Example')%>

Unfortunately I need to submit the info in the form before it can be used on the following page.

This would normally entain a button, but I already have a button to submit the previous form... What do I do?

I can't merge the info in the second form to the one in the first because it has the form tag:

<form ACTION='<%=MM_editAction%>' METHOD='POST'>

Wheras to move info to the page lead to by the button, I need the tag:

<form action ='page2.asp' Method ='post'>

How on earth do I get around this?

Can I have multiple methods? Can I have two actions?

Perhaps I should put the info from the second table into a text file on the client's machine and then ask for it back when the second page loads. I don't particularly like this method because it relies on the user having cookies enabled, and I like to be able to say 'My website uses no cookies!'.

I could put the aforementioned text file in the server's root folder, and dig it out again, but what happens if two people access it at once?

I could create text files with random generated names, then pull only the correct one on the second page, but I've absolutely no idea how to do that!?!?!

HELP!!

:)

Erin

05-06-2002, 09:15 PM
Hi Erin...

I am working on a script to show you what to do.

Email me: matt@rbsnz.com and I will send it to you if I can get it going!

Matt

05-06-2002, 10:20 PM
I have had a play with this...as you are using UD to do the coding, and as the function/script
<%=MM_editAction%> is obviously critical to the whole process, I would suggest that you change where this is called and instead have the script run as page2.asp loads. You can then set the form method to POST to page2.asp.

As far as I am aware you may only have one method and action on a form.

Let me know via email how you go.
Matt

06-06-2002, 10:54 AM
Try naming the forms. <FORM Name='' ...>
Then add the Name to the code on the second page. Each submit button should only work for the form that it is in.