PDA

View Full Version : New website - comments please

05-06-2002, 06:11 PM
Hi there I would appreciate any comments on the layout of this site. This will be my new site and I hope to be finished by August 2002.

You can view the site at
http://liquid2k.com/teachme/index.html

Note: None of the pages have been created yet except the index so dont bother clicking the links on the left hand side.

05-06-2002, 06:25 PM
Graphics and layout OK...
Pity about the spelling though.

//rant// one thing that anoys intensely is spelling mistakes on a website, it destroys credibility in the information on the site IMHO.

..excuseable on forums though...informal.

tj

05-06-2002, 06:46 PM
Looks fine to me, you picked a server with some really good default 404 pages too! Most are so dull.

I look forward to seeing the rest of the content, as you get round tuit

05-06-2002, 06:54 PM
ok ok I admit it, Im not very good at spelling words. But don't worry All spelling mistakes will be fixed by the time the site opens officially in August.

05-06-2002, 06:59 PM
I have a question for you, how does liquid2k work?
I see there is no ftp access, so i have to wonder. I'm not going to set up a trial account, so could you spill the beans please!

05-06-2002, 07:40 PM
Cool, good on ya!

If I was going to be picky (I mean criticise contstructively)I would make the following comments...

Hit counters SUCK!!

Break your text into smaller chunks (maybe use some tables)
People don't like reading big long strings of text that go across the entire page.
Always start a new sentence on a new line (Has a bit more impact & is much easier to read)

Do some serious surfing & note the pages you like looking at & which ones you find easiest on the eye.
Don't be afraid to rip off someone else's design if you like it.

Keep up the good work!! & enjoy.

05-06-2002, 07:40 PM
Hey Chris,
I was wondering that to so I signed up for account. Basically you log in then it has a list of your files/folders and it has a options to upload files, delete files etc. It also has the option to edit your html files.
All I did was create a basic html file in notepad then uploaded that file then edited it from the liquid2k site. Its essentially like any other webhosting such as tripod only you cannot create a new file from the site.

05-06-2002, 08:04 PM
I like the coloured scroll bar at the side... how do you do that? i use dreamweaver Ultradev...

My new web site is up..but i'm still flashing it up. I aim to have a flash site but have quick loading times.
http://www.vectorstar.net/~porsche/index.html

05-06-2002, 08:08 PM
Hi Sam, I checked out the site after reading your first post about it being a free web hosting site - just went back and had a look at you work, looks fine to me, not that i am an expert in that field or anything.
Had a couple of questions
1. I noticed they won't except any hotmail or .com free web based e-mail addresses to sign up with, yet in your previous post you stated 'I found the signing up process a bit of a invasion of privacy but I didn't give out my real information' - did you mean as in your e-mail address, how did you get around that?
2. As a total novice in the area of websites, the main reason i was looking (and at free ones) is we recently lost a dear friend and i had intended doing a memorial site for him - i have used the msn photo sharing to date which has 30mb of space (is free too)
and has done the job but i found it rather limited in the design area etc...
Do you think this kind of site would be any good for that? I think liquid2k has 20mb free wasn't it? So working on the fact that alot of my site is photographs it probably wouldn't be big enough for that would it?
3. Would this site make it possible for others to add their imput to it?
Anyway as i said i like the look of yours so far and will keep an eye out for when you finish it!!

05-06-2002, 08:52 PM
Hi J ZEP,

1. I used my POP3 email address that I have with my xtra internet connection.
When I was signing up they wanted to know such information such as my home address. I am guessing this was mainly for US residents, however I felt a bit nervous giving out my address over the net so I made one up.

2. I think it would be great for that sort of thing. Aswell as creating a nice memorial website you will also gain knowledge and skills by learning how to create the website. Do a search on yahoo for HTML tutorials if you want to start learning.

3.Not too sure what you mean by people being able to add there imput. Im guesing you mean that they can post there own photos etc. Then no they would have to get you to add their photos to the site.

One more thing if you make an account you will have to keep it active by logging in atleast once a month because they delete accounts that lay inactive for more than 30 days.

05-06-2002, 08:59 PM
Hi Brendon

I am not familar with dreamweaver as i do all my html from scratch using windows notepad.

In dreamweaver you should be able to view the code for your website.

Add the following code below the </body> tag and above the </html> tag.

<style>
BODY{
scrollbar-3dlight-color:#333333;
scrollbar-arrow-color:#000000;
scrollbar-base-color:#00CC33;
scrollbar-darkshadow-color:#666666;
scrollbar-face-color:#00CC33;
scrollbar-highlight-color:#333333;
scrollbar-shadow-color:#000000;
scrollbar-track-color:#000000;
}
</style>

just replace the colour codes with those of your own.

If that doesn't make sense to you or you can't get it to work then visit this site.

http://www.lissaexplains.com/css.shtml