PDA

View Full Version : The pc in ten years (ten years ago)

04-06-2002, 09:40 PM
Well I was wondering if we can find some articales from old pcworlds on the pc in 10 to 15 years from 10 years to 150 mags ago see how well they did

04-06-2002, 10:41 PM
That would make interesting reading... I remember when we bought our 286 - top-of-the-range 12Mhz with a WHOPPING 1mb of RAM (Remember, Bill Gates said we'd never need more than 640k!), and a HUGE 40mb HDD. It cost several thousand too... I also remember when it was big news that a 100Mhz computer came out, and they said that it was the fastest they could make them, and there'd never be anything faster.

I guess it all flows on from the Head of IBM saying in 1942 that he thinks there could be a worldwide market for FIVE computers. Statements like these will just keep on coming.

Mike.

05-06-2002, 11:33 AM
In 10 years time PCs will be running at 100MHZ nanobots will be emerging new technology, bio chips will start to replace silicon.

I only hope in 30 years we will wont be in the Terminator realm of existance

05-06-2002, 01:52 PM
I'll be back!!!

06-06-2002, 12:44 PM
Interesting that this topic should be placed here and I see it today.

Just last night I was helping someone with a university assignment that they are doing with regards to Management of Information Systems.

I was reading an article written by Hunt in 1990 (12 years ago). In the article he called for:

More business driven IT Focus (core competencies and interdependence between IT and business Core competencies)

Value for money in IS (rather than throwing money unintelligently at IT)

He predicts the Open Source debate (for hardware and software) and suggests strong positions on both sides.

He calls for system standards and predicts difficulties in this regard.

He predicts a choice of solutions (many companys producing products increasing choice, but suggests companies don't always investigate them sufficiently).

Finally he predicts and calls for the advent of third party suppliers.

It's interesting to see that on almost all topics he's been correct as far as wider industry wide management and progress is concerned. Unfortunately though, standards are still proving difficult to establish, the open source debate is still raging and some companies still throw money unintelligently at IT hoping it'll make all their problems go away :)

Callum