PDA

View Full Version : where's the good info on redhat 7.3 for learners?

04-06-2002, 07:43 PM
i'm a proficient windows user but want to learn redhat. having a fiddle and finding some things but need more info on 'simple' stuff like using file manager to read windows partitions, setting up networking etc... any idea where i can find decent info without a manual?

ta

04-06-2002, 10:03 PM
Try
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/

They're called manuals but are actually quick guides. To make the good use of those, the best way is to have running RH system.

Be careful though, if you don't have previous linux experience.

05-06-2002, 02:44 PM
Try the HOWTO documents. But 'decent info without manuals'? You *are* joking, I hope. The best way to learn is to read books. If it's computers you want to learn about, the best place to read a book is far from the keyboard. There are a lot of very good books based on RedHat. Check your public library. Also for networks (especially) look for books published by O'Reilly. (They have animal pictures on the cover).

Setting up a network *can* be done with GUI thingies, without requiring any learning. Or understanding. As long as everything (hardware AND software) is exactly what has been expected by the people who wrote the thingie. But if *anything* is non-standard, the thingie won't work. You will then have to learn and understand some things. A lot of things. Networks are *not* 'simple'. And those things are in manuals and other documentation. 'Learning' has never been easy. It still needs work. Sorry about that.