PDA

View Full Version : can u help me out plz?

03-06-2002, 09:56 PM
hi g'day,
well i dont know much about computers, only that i know how to d/load music and play games, thats all!!!!! anywayz, i am also hooked on to the msn messenger thingee!
and during a brief chat, a person sent me a virus, and well its wrecking my messenger and also the computer(i think) cause well the pictures are distorted and it appears sort of well 'stuffed up'
could u please offer some advice of how to get rid of this virus please!!!!
it would be much appreciated!!!!!
thank you!
Ricky

03-06-2002, 10:20 PM
You need antivirus software.I think there's a few free ones but the cheapest of the better ones is Etrust
http://www.my-etrust.com/
They give a 30day trial period.

Peter

03-06-2002, 11:19 PM
tell us which virus ur infected by . run norton antivirus 2002 and update the virus definatins .if u dont have norton antivirus please go to www.symantec.com and download the latest version of norton anti virus

and remeber never accept files while chatting even though if its ur best friend or relative the hacker can crack your chat and re-place the file that ur friend that ur friend or relative with a virus

as the technology improves you have to face trouble.

04-06-2002, 06:34 AM
Based on the info you have provided I think we can narrow the list of possible virus's down to about 1.3m give or take a few......

www.grisoft.com

Here is a link for a free AV program called AVG.

Get it, install and run it, then update it and run it again and see what it burps up.

Change one setting in it, it defaults to checking for updates once every 30 days, too far apart, reduce that to say every 7 days or less.

It also does email scanning. Make sure you enable it.

And last of all, don't accept or run files from people you don't know, it will cause you a heap less heart ache.

04-06-2002, 01:50 PM
Run a free virus scan from http://housecall.antivirus.com first (love that site!), then tackle the problem by buying some antivirus software such as Nortons (shudder) or CA InoculateIT (Etrust)!

04-06-2002, 02:41 PM
Should the problem not be a virus, it is possible that you may need a new grapics card.

AA