PDA

View Full Version : IP info

02-06-2002, 10:22 PM
I have a pc using jetstart.
The IP address keeps changing as it is ment to. I would like to contact it at any stage through the net.

What I am looking is a prog that will request the IP address at a sheduled time & email it to a set address. Idealy it would have it's own pop3 sender. It would mean I would always know the IP of the PC. I don't want a static address for this PC.

03-06-2002, 01:26 AM
Option with no pop3 client: Step 1: Create an ordinary message with the recipient wanted. Use File | Save to save a copy of this as a draft somewhere in your Outlook folders so you can modify it later.
Step 2: Choose Tools | Forms | Design a Form (Tools | Design Outlook Form in Outlook 97), then Form | View Code. Type this bit of code into the Script Editor:
Function Item_Open()
If Item.Size = 0 Then
Item.Send
End If
End Function
This will cause this item to be sent as soon as it's created. Choose File | Close to close the Script Editor.
Step 3: On the (Properties) tab of the form, clear the box for Send form definition with item. This is necessary to keep the item from being sent again when the recipient opens it, if it's an Outlook recipient.
Step 4: Choose File | Publish Form As. Give it a name, such as NetworkStatusReport. This will also cause it to have a Message Class of IPM.Note.NetworkStatusReport. Publish it in Personal Forms.
Step 5: Create a batchfile with shortcut to Outlook.exe using the /c and /a command switches, which are new message and insert attachment
<path>\Outlook.exe /c IPM.Note.NetworkStatusReport /a C:\ipsetup
where <path>\<filename> is the particular attachment you want to send.

Add to the batch file - route print>C:\ipsetup

Now use scheduler to run the batch file when you want it ? tests Ok here
You need to have Outlook open.

03-06-2002, 01:30 AM
Sorry this is messy
Here is the link:
http://www.slipstick.com/dev/olforms/skedrpt.htm

03-06-2002, 09:49 AM
A completely differant approach.. you could run ICQ on the PC you wish to monitor, it will show the IP if you wish, and only you need know who/what ICQ#xxxxxxxxx is. Ok, the changes wouldn't get logged, but you could know anytime just by opening ICQ on any computer, and having a look at userX's IP

03-06-2002, 10:21 AM
Two options :-

1. Use AutoIPUpdate to do exactly what you ask : can't remember where to get it. It is freeware or shareware.

OR

2. Use dns2go to register a free domain name such as name.dns2go.com and then you don't need to know the IP. A client app runs on your PC that updates the DNS servers at dns2go, so all you do is go straight to that address.

03-06-2002, 03:57 PM
Agnitum Outpost firewall will show your IP number by placing the cursor on it. Plus all its other benefits.

03-06-2002, 08:23 PM
Sorry, may have got the wrong end of the stick(connection)