PDA

View Full Version : Word 2000 Problem -Styles or bug?

02-06-2002, 03:31 PM
Several times recently when closing a document in Word a message comes up saying 'normal template has changed. Do you want to save changes?'. I choose no but family members may have said yes at other times. Sometimes now, when in Word, when I choose an action e.g. highlighting a line and centering it, the whole document is centred. Clicking 'undo' will leave the highlighted bit centered but restore the rest of the document to its former formatting. As you can imagine doing this after each format is applied is getting a little annoying!

I use styles sometimes in my documents and wonder if this has altered the normal template?

How do I restore the normal template?

The operating system is ME.

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

02-06-2002, 05:12 PM
Mary,
You can restore a 'standard' normal.dot, by renaming the existing one (e.g to normal.old). Make sure word is not open when you do this. When you next open word, it will create a new normal.doc. If you change a style for a doc that is based on normal.doc, you may prompted whether you want to save the changes (depends on settings in your Tools/Options).

Sometimes, a document gets knotted - if you have the problem with a specific document: make the paragraph marker visible, then select and copy everything EXCEPT the last paragraph marker. Paste the selection into a new document, and you might have a 'clean' doc!!! (Word stores a lot of formatting info 'in' the last paragraph marker!!

02-06-2002, 05:14 PM
Hello Mary,

To restore the default template, do the following, go to start, search, for files and folders run a search for normal.dot, when found delete all instances, then reboot your PC, Word will create a new Normal.dot next time you open it, and everything should be back to default settings.

Alan

03-06-2002, 02:35 PM
Thanks, I now have a new Normal template. Cheers