PDA

View Full Version : Error starting program

01-06-2002, 10:59 PM
This message comes up when my computer starts -

Error Starting Program

The DLATRAY.EXE file is linked to missing export
MCF42.DLL:6880.

My Windows 98 CD is scratced so I need a solution that doesn't include using it.

Thank you

02-06-2002, 08:40 AM
Cant help with the problem but Video Easy Have a machine that can repair scratched CDs For a couple of $

03-06-2002, 09:06 PM
Hi Paul, DLATRAY.EXE is an application that displays a CDRW icon in the system tray down by the screen clock. It is part of the Hewlett-Packard CDRW software and the message you are getting is caused by a damaged or wrong version of MFC42.DLL This dll is very often reissued by third party software suppliers to support their software and H-P products often cause this problem. The version of MFC42 on the win98se cd (mine anyway) is 4.21.7160 however the version in C:\windows \system on my machine is 6.00.8665 so you can see many version have superceded the original issue. I have searched the H-P site for some info on the required version but found nothing so I suggest you search the H-P software cd that came with your H-P CDRW to see if there is a copy of MFC42.DLL on there that is different to the one you have in C:\windows\system and copy it over. Don't throw the old one away, just change its name in case it causes more trouble than it cures. Alternatively just take DLATRAY.EXE out of the startup menu and the message should go away.

HTH PC