PDA

View Full Version : Scandisk/Defrag Restart Tip

01-06-2002, 10:11 PM
Many people have problems with scandisk (and defrag) constantly restarting due to disk writes. On my own system, neither of these programs could be used unless the system was in safe mode. This problem appears, in my case at least, to have been caused by a program, associated with MS Office XP, called Index Server. This program, which, at least in my stand-alone home computer environment, appears to be non-essential, constantly indexes files on your hard drive, ostensibly for the purpose of faster access when required by an Office XP program. If one notices your hard drive churning away when the system is idle, chances are this program may be the cause, as I have had the same problem on several systems, and the solution has always been identical - removing Index Server, which can be done using the Office XP CD. So, if you having this problem, try removing Index Server. You can always re-install it if your system for some reason needs it.

As another benefit, random and mysterious disk accesses during games no longer occur, virtually eliminating sudden and unexplained judders and pauses. The system also starts up a little faster.

02-06-2002, 09:27 AM
Thanks for sharing that with us Bob. We might be asked to contribute to a FAQ page on the new forum so I've copied and pasted it into my notes for reference, if that's OK with you? :-)

It sounds to me like this Indexing is just another name for FindFast, which is a known trouble-maker with previous Windows versions. It is highly recommended to delete FindFast as well.

You may be interested in this article:

<http://www.****microsoft.com/content/ms-hidden-files.shtml>

It's interesting what it says about FindFast near the bottom of the article.

02-06-2002, 12:38 PM
By all means do so. It really is shocking when you see the sheer amount of bloat MS software incorporates. The more I install.....the slower my computer gets.